New bike, don't run & don't know how to use it.

Christian Gastineau

Local time
8:04 AM
Hello, my name is christian and I'm new to the group.
Well here's my situation. My car is down so I decided to get a motorized bicycle for the mean time. I found one on craigslist for pretty cheap.
This is the story: I was originally going to buy it for $265 but when I got there he couldn't get it to start (said it has been sitting for 2 weeks & only had it a month prior to that) he said the chain was tighter than usual & said the clutch might be stuck in gear or something. So I ended up buying the bike for $150. When I got home I literally had no idea where to start so I thought I would come on here to get some help from you guys. Also, the rear wheel is stuck. It won't move forward or backwards. Thanks for your time and any help I can get!

Sounds like you made a poor decision....check around in your area for someone to help you.....every area generally has someone that knows about these bikes.....back wheel stuck could be most anything from a seized engine, clutch not releasing , bad assembly of back wheel...to many variables to advise.

Post some pictures, and more information. What kind of bike, size, 2-stroke,4-stroke, coaster brake??? You can start by pulling the clutch release cover off and see if the chain is jammed between the sprocket and case. Then pull the chain off and see if back wheel is free. You can use sparkplug socket on drive gear to turn engine over. Post lots of pictures

I'm betting on the chain being bunched up under the cover if he said the chain looked shorter than normal

another thing u can do is pull the plug out and see if it will roll.. the compression in the motor will stop if from moving. if thats the case then your clutch isnt working. and u can also manually push the clutch in istead of the cable to see if its going in far enough to disengage..

Okay, I had a guy come check it out and it was the clutch. It was missing the little screw that locks it in. Runs great now! Thanks everyone!

IMG_20160327_194713.jpg
Sounds like you made a poor decision....check around in your area for someone to help you.....every area generally has someone that knows about these bikes.....back wheel stuck could be most anything from a seized engine, clutch not releasing , bad assembly of back wheel...to many variables to advise.

(Clutch not releasing)
I did a search for this problem just now because I have a bike with that issue and I'm wanting to repair it, happened while I was riding last year, the lever moves and the arm does as well but the clutch doesn't disengage, this also means that I can't start it again, do you suppose that this is the preload that I've read about?and if so do you know how to fix it? It is my first bike and I'd like to save it.

Last edited:
The arms moving is the little rod pushing on the ball bearing? Take off the clutch cover to see if the clutch plate is moving. The spring under the plate might be stuck if the plate don't move when you pull the clutch in like come off the pads then you are stuck in gear . Or the ball bearing is stuck or gone the rod can where out and the ball bearing even the arm that is pushing the rod can where out on the end.

Back