Newbie from NY

Hi El, been real busy with the white stuff (this is a great place for all season sports- boating, skiing, snowmobiling, but I hate winter).
On this Thanksgiving day, I puttered over onto Motoredbikes.
I am where the snow came down the heaviest- never seen anything like it in 68 years! 3.5 feet overnight and another 2.5 Tuesday. I asked my friends to pray the rain would be minimal when it got warmer and the flooding was minimal.
The snow evaporated at a rate of three inches per day.
When I went to work this week, there was hardly any snow there- 4 miles away.
Buffalo downtown and north has zilch.

Anyway, thanks for the thought.
Here is the thing- in the Empire (strikes back) state- anything with a motor of any kind has to be registered.

I bought a scrap Moped that had a registration and presto- (some number stamps onto a welded little metal gusset on my bike)- and it is now a 1977 Puch.
Actually, I did this on bike 1 and later, using the Moped wheels and front end- bike 2.

NY has 3 classifications for mopeds- the first one (slowest @ up to 20mph) need only to be registered, the next (up to 30 mph, needs insurance. The 3rd (up to 40 mph) needs both insurance and INSPECTION.
I had bought the mid class moped and when I went to register it (it only would go 20 mph as it was a gas/electric deal I made), I asked if she would re-classify it into the lowest rank? She said " 20 mph max?- I said yes.
I was happy. I did get insurance for it anyway, but less hassle from NY is better.
An inspection would have sunk my efforts, so avoiding that is important.
With that plate on the back, and my motorcycle full face helmet, safety vest,glasses, head light/ tail light, and safe riding- I am never stopped.
Actually had a trooper pull behind me (purposely) and followed me a bit, I think he was curious, then he went by.
The plate is the golden goose.

The HT kits have a provision for powering lights ( LEDs would be good), since I run HF engines, I had to drive a 24 volt scooter motor off the engine at 1/2 speed to generate power for lights. Works well.

Forgot to add- there is no limit on engine size here- only a speed limit. I do ride around 25 to 30 and stay on the side of the road- I look behind me ANYTIME I veer left!

Another NY bunch!
I'm hunting the want adds now for mopeds! ;) I've got the same 26" beach cruiser as you boys. My first was a wrecked Schwinn, put a cheap motor and light/signal/horn kit on it. Now I have the same cruiser as you boys and have much bigger plans, Springer or rock shock fork, 12 gage spoke rims with the front drum and nexus three speed rear, proper headlights/tail brake light and turn signals all 9 volt LED, flat green with a rectangular tank, give it that 1910 motorcycle look.

I'm posting as much info about contacting the Commissioner of the DMV as I can find. I'm not holding my breath but it can't hurt. Till then I'll have to find options.

Back