Carby Micro drill bits for jetting NT carb?

Local time
9:31 PM
I can't afford a new carb with all the other repairs i need to make, so I figured I'd work on the NT carb i have. I think it needs a new jet (something smaller i think) but instead of buying a bunch of jets and wasting money on those i don't use, I figured I'd drill it myself. I just want to make sure i'm getting the right size bits. Would this set be the correct sizes?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FMZTP4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1B75WREUSK3D3

If anyone has any tips about a good brand/seller to buy a set from that works well without breaking the bank i'd love to hear from them. These are the kinds of things where you get what you pay for and cheap is going to be cheap. I don't mind spending a little bit more to save myself a huge headache from crappy bits. All the ones I'm finding are either more than the cost of a new carb, or cheap to the point of not being usable.

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
An LP or Natural gas serviceman usually has a set of orifice bits in his tool assortment....These bits are by their nature a precision tool....they're NOT going to be cheap..

don't know how steady your hands are, but I consider it a good month if I only break one of the tiny little things - buy cheap & in bulk : )

I don't know about making them smaller but I've used a set of welding torch cleaning files (about $4 from home depot) to make them bigger.

for smaller the only way to do it is to solder the hole shut and stick a tiny drill bit through it

Harbor Freight sells an assortment of micro bits they call "micro burrs".They come in plastic packs of 10, from so small I can barely see them (finer than human hair) to around .022-.024 for the biggest.

You can get a wire gauge drill bit tip cleaner set for under 10 dollars at most welding supply houses. Set includes 12 drill bits and drill holder

Thanks for the tips guys. From what I can tell there is just no getting around the delicasy of these bits. They're just too tiny for there to be major differences is brands (Which all seem to be pretty much the same) I was also going to get a micrometer to make sure the bits are the right sizes.

Before I order this stuff I thought to check ebay. My budget for this stuff is about $26 (including shipping) But I noticed there are main jet sets (60,65,70,75,80 sizes) for less as well as SHA carb clones for less than that.

Jets: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-Of-5-Je...707?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f37abcd2b

Carb: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Racing-Carb...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35daa0ff63&vxp=mtr

Would either of these make a better purchase in your guys opinions? Does the SHA clone have a fuel mix screw? I think my bike is running too lean. Should i stick with trying to tune the NT carb or try to get a different carb? I will try to get a better one down the line but i have to make this bike viable before i can go spending $50-80 on a carb.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back