MotoPed Softail with 86cc 4-stroke 4-speed semi-auto

KCvale

In memory of KCvale 1959 - 2019
Local time
1:11 AM
It is such a joy to build something complicated with the best of parts.
I'm this --> <-- close to finishing up a MotoPed for me.

MotoPedDoneFL-1280.jpg

The MotoPed bike frame is actually a motorcycle frame designed to support pedals.
http://MotoPed.com
$2,000+

It comes with everything but an E22 'Honda mount' compatible engine in one giant box filled with other boxes of parts, the wheels, and the frame base.

MotoFrameBox2.jpg

We painted parts and such so it took a couple of days to get it to a 'rolling frame'.

MotoPedRollingL.jpg

I went with the Chinese 86/88cc 147FMF Honda knockoff 4-stroke with a kick-start and 4-speed semi-auto from PPCmotor for $300.

452168612_o.jpg

(continued...)

(...continued)

Engine Specs:
Single cylinder, 4-stroke, 2 valves

Bore x Stroke: 47mmx49.5mm

Measurements: 17" x 10 1/4" x 8 1/4"
Displacement: 86cc
Compression Ratio: 9.47:1
Carburettor: racing carburetor
Ignition: CDI, 12 volt, permanent magnetic stator
Maximum Power: 6 hp@ 7,500 rpm
Maximum Torque: 4.25@ 5,500 rpm
Gears: 4-speed, semi-auto, 4 DOWN.
Idle: 1,500 RPM
Final Drive: 14 tooth #420 front sprocket included (we have other sprockets on sale too!!)
Lubrication: 0.8 liters, 10W/30 4-stroke motorcycle oil, pressure and splash
Fuel: Unleaded

The stock kick-starter won't work (hits the JS gear), we are working on that today but otherwise she's done, lubed and fueled just waiting for a way to start it.

MotoPedDoneL-1280.jpg

MotoPedDoneR-1280.jpg

~$2,500 all said and done is steep for most DIY MB builders but on the other hand 5 years from now it should still be worth $2K.

Looking good KC! Mines ohhh so close to being done also. Just ran into a little snag so maybe another week and I'll be riding.
Cool Barn, I look forward to seeing yours as mine is basic, but now completely done!

We just cut a piece of kickstand and used it to offset the kickstart.

MotoPedKickstart2.jpg

MotoPedDoneFL.jpg

MotoPedDoneBL.jpg

It's a big bike, 110# wet and 36" tall seat.
Here it is compared to the Surly Instigator which is a big itself.

MotoPed-Surley.jpg

It's awkward to shift but for just riding around you can leave it 3rd and it'll run you without shifting.

That's a really cool motorized bike, man. Do you have any trouble getting on the shifter without footpegs?
It's weird seeing bike pedals there. You riding that one on the street?
Ruh roh, Raggy, I hear that iron door clanging shut on ya.. :D

Thanks guys, it was fun to build but came about in an odd way, I bought that 86cc engine with no idea what I could put it in and someone pointed me to the MotoPed frame.

It's a nice frame for $2K and their are 50cc non-shifting engines that fit that Honda E22 mount so it's not a bear trap, but in this town so long as you ride safe they just don't care what size your motor is.

I'll fill you guys in more when we have a chance to put it through it's paces.

Back