Motor broken in! Time to Modify!

Fast Shag

Local time
4:23 AM
Just broke in my 66cc Flying Horse and when those rings set in, you know it! Went through the basic and typical trouble shooting... 3 broken motor mounts, 2 carbs, a bad magneto (tiny wire coming out of top of unit soldered to mag broke, soldered 3 times now good), busted fuel filter, fuel leaks, bogging, leaky head gasket, blown rear hub, and many other wonderful problems that come with these garbage kits! Now I think I have it dialed in! Just sanded my head for compression a little, added a good plug and wire, and got a 11 gauge rear rim. It tops out at 33 1/2 mph and handles well. I just ordered a SBP expansion chamber and head gasket, might be thinking of getting a 40 tooth sprocket. You guys know of anyone who makes them with the beveled, offset style?:cool:

I went thru all of the same problems and started with a 40 tooth. The best parts I added included an expansion chamber muffler, a clone dellorto carb, a better throttle assembly, a 6.0 high compression head and high pressure 24 X 2.3 inch Geax tires. Those changes and 92 Octane, alcohol free premix fuel make it run like a rabbit! Now time to enjoy!! New bags -web site pic.jpg jhammond.cpa@gmail.com

Congrats and it sounds like you have the right parts picked.

... 3 broken motor mounts, 2 carbs, a bad magneto (tiny wire coming out of top of unit soldered to mag broke, soldered 3 times now good), busted fuel filter, fuel leaks, bogging, leaky head gasket, blown rear hub, and many other wonderful problems that come with these garbage kits!
Well, don't buy garbage parts, works for me and I build a lot of bikes and seldom see the issues you speak of Fast Shag, but then again we build so many we know what to look for as we go so I'd guess we have a ~95% record of 'starts and runs on the first try' for most everything.

Fast Shag, do you know what your handle means?...............I think it's funny as all get out!

Clean lookin set up J! I like how ya set the exhaust up high. I don't want to get rid of my kickstand. This is my first build KC... Trial and error the first time around. I think I've worked out all the kinks, but then again, ya can't tinker and fix something that ain't broken! What's the fun in that? Darwin, come to think about it, I now see how my handle may sound funny! My name is Shaggy and this forum is just full of dudes anyway, My girl knows the real truth and she is quite pleased...1017141241.jpg

Nice bike, I like the frame except I'd have front suspension forks. Fun to ride huh?

It's fun! Goes way too fast! I've been having trouble finding front shocks for it...The double shocks, not springers. Where could I start looking? I might want a seat post shock as well.....

look in Amazon.com and EBay.
Your experience is normal with all the failures that KC doesn't see probably because he just builds them, makes sure they run right, and then let them sit till they are sold. It takes riding time to see the problems come and go.

I kinda figured that. He makes some nice bikes though, at least they look nice. Jag, I've been looking at many of your threads on performance upgrades and the graphs that go with them: very impressed and I thank you for the great knowledge! I started playing around with extended intakes and getting ready to mount a SBP expansion chamber and tune for mid rpm torque. Next will be your CDI. I will see if I can find a good front fork...

Ok guys....Got the sbp exhaust on and tried to tune it for bottom end; only cut about a 1/4 inch off....I think it works but top end is either bogging or 4strokin. can't really tell. My plug looks perfect testing both 3/4 and WOT. I checked for air leaks, What do ya think is going on? I'm getting a 41 tooth sprocket and maybe a 36.

Back