Exhaust Stud Bummer

Timbone

Local time
10:25 PM
Geez, I am so screwed. Today my muffler fell off at speed, breaking the ear off the muffler. That's not the big deal. The real problem is that my right exhaust stud (which I replaced with a 6mm bolt not long ago, with a healthy serving of blue Loctite) broke off about 1/2 inch down into the thread. Topping that off, the 1/2 of available thread is now stripped.

I fabbed a temporary bracket for the broken ear side of the muffler mount and I inserted a new bolt coated with JB Weld into the the stripped thread. Maybe the JB Weld, the muffler clamp (that I never used) and the clamp I fabbed, maybe I can continue riding. I need to order a muffler ASAP, but I amnot optimistic about that.

:(

Timbone

I'd work VERY carefully at getting the broken stud out, then heli-coiling the hole - I never ride without the muffler hanger on tight because this is what happens

You are correct, of course. Tested my JB Weld fix. The heat of the cylinder killed it at one mile. I wish I had some real metalworking tools,and that includes a welder. I gotta fix this; no way I can ride this thing around with it being so loud. Oh, and it would be very unwise for me to drop $130 for a new motor when this one runs so well!

Thanks for your advice!

=Timbone=

Back