Skyhawk GT2 headset size???

SOMF

Local time
11:05 AM
I am in the process of building a Skyhawk GT2 but I am having a lot of trouble getting a fork set up. Does anyone know what size the headset is? I have been measuring the head tube with calipers and I can't seem to find any head sets that match. The frame tube almost looks like it is set up for slip in bearings (no cups) but the cheesy bearing set that came with it has cups. HELP! I want to get her on the road...

Headset is 1 1/8" threadless. The headset was included but you will need a threadless stem.

Bottom bracket is set up for the old school one piece with press in cups.

Important: my GT2-A frame had female thread: a fine thread 1/8 plumbing thread. A lot of different ways to do it but you will need some kind of sealant to prevent leakage.

Hope this helps!

=Timbone=

Thanks Timbone. I actually like the old school bottom bracket, nothing wrong with bigger bearings and it is a piece of cake to bend the crank arms out to clear the centrifugal clutch and pull start. I was hoping to find out a specific bearing for the headset so I could possibly upgrade. I bought a Cave Creek 1-1/8" threaded set but the press in cups are too big, the OD is almost the same as the frame head tube OD so no way they are going in there. The ones that came with the frame pressed in fine but I can't seem to find a match for a replacement/upgrade set. For the forks I have a set of the Monark 1 springers I want to use. They have a 1" threaded tube that is too short so I ordered a cheap BMX fork with a 9-1/2" threadless tube that I plan to cut off and then put over the Monark tube. The Monark being 1" OD and the BMX tube being 1" ID. I plan to drill a few 1/4" holes in the center of the BMX tube and then when it is set I can plug weld then so the tube never slips. I hope this works since I really like the Monark forks!

Putting a 1-1/8" threadless steerer tube worked perfect! I now have a set of Monark 1 springers on my Skyhawk GT 2. It was a bit more work then I had hoped but it wasn't that bad. As for bearing size, I ended up using what came with the frame except I added some dust seal from a threaded headset I already had. Finished 1.jpgFinished 2.jpgFinished 3.jpgMotor 1.jpgSeat.jpg

Last edited:
Putting a 1-1/8" threadless steerer tube worked perfect! I now have a set of Monark 1 springers on my Skyhawk GT 2. It was a bit more work then I had hoped but it wasn't that bad. As for bearing size, I ended up using what came with the frame except I added some dust seal from a threaded headset I already had.View attachment 54328View attachment 54329View attachment 54330View attachment 54331View attachment 54332
i was wondering where you purchased the adapter for front disc for the monark fork as i NEED to get one for my build.please lemme know how to go about getting one so i can complete my gt2 build w/disc brakes.thanks in advance
Dallas Dean

i was wondering where you purchased the adapter for front disc for the monark fork as i NEED to get one for my build.please lemme know how to go about getting one so i can complete my gt2 build w/disc brakes.thanks in advance
Dallas Dean

more importantly the build looks great...how does she handle with the front fork?

Disc brakes

I don't recall the brand of disc brake, it was a generic I purchased on Ebay. Thanks for the compliment, I am in the process of building up a new motor, so far it is Japanese bearings, polish all ports, balanced and trued crank and billet head for starters.

Back