Custom Phil Woods Kiss Off hub

I have a dual disk Phil Woods Kiss Off hub I'm selling. It is BRAND new has never been ridden on. Was going to use it on my current build but decided to go with a slightly different hub I got built. Once again this is brand new..only been laced to rim but never ridden. This is not your scrappy hub you buy from anyone. It was purposely going to be built to be used for a motorized bike. Is running dual disk. Mount a sprocket on one side and a disk on the other. Both sides are 5mm standard disk rotor pattern. 36hole hub. I spend a little over $500 for this hub but letting go for $400..once again NEVER been used on a working or non working bike on the street or anywhere for that matter. Awesome hub..I understand some may not know who Phil Woods are but if you do you know they are not your typical hub. They make great stuff.

Attachments

• 20140106_1426461649293733.jpg
    20140106_1426461649293733.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 332
  • 20140106_142657902025528.jpg
    20140106_142657902025528.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 304
  • 20131116_1311411649293733.jpg
    20131116_1311411649293733.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 255
Is it possible to attach a freewheel for pedaling? I know Phil Woods products are high end, but I got a moped drum hub for $63 shipped. Drum and drive sprocket on one side, other side threaded for freewheel for pedaling. Laced to a 24x2.125" steel bicycle rim with 11g spokes. If I were to ever sell this wheel, I'd sell the complete wheel for probably $200. Your hub doesn't look like it accepts a pedal drive, unless there is something I'm missing.

I totally agree with you but I also disagree. I've noticed on here there are a lot of people who cut corners and cheapin things up and just about everything they do..I'm all about trying to do things as cheap as possible but there are some things I'm just like what the heck were you thinking. This hub is not for that type of person and this hub is more for a specific type of build. Do I think it costs a bit..yes I do but at the same time for what I paid for it..it's reasonable especially considering it literally is brand new. I'm thinking of selling it for $300 on eBay which will make it sell fast but at the same time I figured I'd put it on here even though I know most of the people on here are cheap skates..lol..no point intended but it's true..and I'm one of them

That doesn't answer my question. Is it possible to attach a pedal drive to that hub? I didn't cut corners with my custom wheels, and I know they're better than just about any standard bicycle hub/rim combination, especially when you factor in the fact that with the moped hub, the sprocket bolts directly to the hub, no rag joint or adapter is necessary. I see that is the same with the hub you're selling. My point is that you don't need to spend $500 or even $300 to build a reliable wheel. My rear wheel only cost me about $100. My front wheel is a 130mm dirt bike drum, laced to the same rim as the rear wheel. 130mm front drum and 90mm rear drum, I'm expecting stopping power comparable to disc brakes, and I'm not cutting corners. I did my homework before building these wheels, prepping the hubs, calculating spoke length, properly truing, and the front wheel cost me even less because I got the hub for free. The fact that something is more expensive does not make it more reliable. I'm sure that a moped hub and a dirt bike drum can handle 30mph easily. And the sealed bearings are a wonderful upgrade for me as well. I'm not trying to knock you for selling this hub, I just don't think it's 1) necessary and 2) as desirable to us mb folks as you seem to think it is. I wish you luck in selling it, but I doubt you're going to sell it here, especially after mentioning you'd sell it cheaper on ebay. Some here would consider that an insult, and I think rightfully so.

I dont think you understand my point but as far as selling on eBay for cheaper also implies I'd sell it on here for cheaper..in regards to installing a pedal drive to hub the answer is always anything is possible but in this case I wouldn't recommend it. It is made to have a stationary sprocket and disk on opposite side as pictures show. And I never said you cut corners but it definitely sounds like that what your implieying I said.

I dont think you understand my point but as far as selling on eBay for cheaper also implies I'd sell it on here for cheaper..in regards to installing a pedal drive to hub the answer is always anything is possible but in this case I wouldn't recommend it. It is made to have a stationary sprocket and disk on opposite side as pictures show. And I never said you cut corners but it definitely sounds like that what your implieying I said.
Isn't it great when someone, who has no interest nor info on the item you're selling, tells you what you have, what they'd do with it, and how dumb you are for not doing it their way?How is trying to sell something an insult, unless you have no understanding of what an insult is?

Yeah I've read some of his other posts...he has nothing else to do..not sure why he would respond to the ad also if he one, already has a wheel and tire setup and two already has a wheel and tire setup and doesn't intend on buying anything...just a waste of my time but Let'em...Let'em...just keeps my thread at the top..lol

I was honestly trying to get you to provide more info for anyone who might actually be interested in buying it. You're absolutely correct that I have no intention of buying it, but if I did, for $400 or even $300 I'd want to know exactly what I was getting. And since I don't know very much about Phil Woods products, the only info I would have to go on would be what you provided in the OP, which doesn't seem like enough. Now that you've finally revealed that this hub is not designed to attach a pedal drive, that makes it illegal for use on a motor-assisted bicycle in many states, because no pedal drive makes it not a bicycle or a moped, therefore any bike with this wheel could not be registered. Furthermore, Troyg, I never said what I would do with this hub/wheel. I don't even know where you're getting that from. What I did say was that my custom wheel with moped hub, which the entire wheel cost about $100 in parts, can accept a pedal drive, therefore would still be considered a motor assisted bicycle. Some states have different laws, but the federal law defines mopeds and motor-assisted bicycles both as having operable pedals and being able to be propelled either by engine alone, engine and human propulsion together, or human propulsion alone. Therefore any motorized two-wheeled vehicle without an operable pedal drive is NOT a motor assisted bicycle or moped in most states. And to me, that seems like pretty important info when trying to sell something on a website for MOTOR ASSISTED BICYCLES. I wasn't intending to be disrespectful before, but since you both want to have an attitude, i'll give you my honest opinion. I don't think you're going to sell that hub here, and if you do, I think you'll eat a sizable chunk of what you paid for it. Saying you would sell it cheaper on ebay does not automatically imply that you would sell it cheaper here too, otherwise you would have hinted as much and you did not. Now I'm bored of this, so peace out and good luck.

Nice hub setup OP, trick to selling MAB stuff is patience I've learned. Might take 6 months then bam you got an email saying you have a pm on motoredbikes.com. Some custom builder will appreciate what you have there. I'd list it on other sites too and Craigs nearest big city metro area.........barter is always good if both parties walk away with a smile.

Yea that's what I've done. I'm not in a hurry to sell so it's all good. And I guess this other guy doesn't know anything about freewheels...lol. add one and you have pedal drive assist. The rear wheel doesn't have to be the only place to have a pedal drive attached. You can literally put it anywhere as long as you can pedal it. Some people just don't understand that or maybe he forgot about that. And once again thanks for commenting on thread its still at the top..some people are literally bored and just have to comment on everything but have no clue about anything but that's none of my business.

Back