What I did on the Moto today...

Timbone

Local time
6:00 AM
It seems like every day is a new day with these things. New problems and adventures at every turn.

This morning's 12 mile commute was smooth and uneventful. When I stopped at a convenience store for breakfast food and coffee, I felt that the clutch was a bit grabby. Then, almost out of nowhere, a big shower came and soaked the moto and I had no choice but to cruise on in the dark, sloppy conditions. It took a few times for the motor to fire and scoot me in that final mile to work.Maybe some water got in there.

Zipped home without incident, although I still noticed the clutch cable issues.

I have several brake cables around and, after some struggling to reuse the clutch cable hosing, I attached the new cable and it is so much better. Fraying in the clutch cable in the clutch handle was BAD. Had I dithered around with this the entire cable could have snapped leaving me stranded. So glad I dealt with this swiftly. The bicycle brake cable seems to be a fine replacement.

I also got serious about fixing up my fuel line. My frame is one of those GT2-A beauties and the gas line has been a sourceof confusion. First: for the record, the threading is a 1/8 plumbing thread (has nothing to do with 1/8") so I started with a male 1/8 thread nipple, then a 1/8 to 1/4 thread adapter to a 1/4'" barb fitting. By the time I place my double barb fuel valve (a lawnmower replacement I bought at the hardware store) I only had room for two short runs of flexible fuel tubing. There is no fuel filter in the system - I don't even know if I can rig one up due to the tightness of the run. I experimented with a spongelike fuel filter I took from a trashed weed trimmer, but it choked my fuel flow, making the bike run lean. I couldn't get a good, steady run going with the engine wanting more fuel.

Now the bike is running great! Top speed is a bit better and smoother now. The engine will still fire right up, but it wants some choke until the fuel gets flowing well. I am loving my Moto!

=Timbone=

you must be from a latino country where moto is the word for motorcycle. Otherwise for gringos moto means one of the races for each class in a motocross race.
for a fuel filter I had success with wiring some cloth around the screen filter inside the tank.

"Moto" is natural usage to me and it comes,most likely, from my participation in and knowledge of bicycle racing.Most races have some form of motorcycle referee and we generally refer to it as "the moto". In fact, it was my participation in a bike race in a big Midwestern American city that gave me the idea for a motorbike. The moto that day was a motorized bicycle and I thought it was so cool - and fast! I realize now that he had a shift kit because our speeds got into the 30's several times and his MB was able to quickly react.

I am proudly from UhMuhricuh!

I would like to rig up a fuel filter screen right at the fuel take intake but I don't know have a good idea.

I'd also like to rig up some kind of simple plastic rear fender thing that, perhaps, shelters a rear tailight...

=Tim C.=

I know Etown. Big bike ride in and around Etown tomorrow but I will not participate. At the beginning of August, I did a little bike tour that began and ended in Leitchfieldand it was a wonderful 65 mile experience. The roads were surprisingly flat and we were flying!

A trike? Three wheels/ That's one wheel too many! Ha. I am just kidding - whatever floats your boat.

I have only seen 4 other motorbikes in the city, but there are scooters all over the place, mostly w quiet 4 strokes and faster than mine. Though my moto looks infinitely cooler if I do say so myself. :)

Ride on, brother!

3 wheels is fine with me for my back surgery. On craigslist I see motorized bike for sale in and around louisville

I've seen those motorbikes on Craigslist selling for $300 to $500. Guy is buying Walmart special bikes for under $100, attaching a $140 kit and making a decent profit. I could do that, too, but it isn't worth it. The buyer is just gonna bring it back. Engine won't run, fuel will leak, clutch will need adjustment,chain will fall off. Too many things WILL go wrong.

Good luck with the trike. I'd like to see a pic when it is complete.

Today's maintenance: Move the chain tensioner slightly aft to keep the chain at proper tension.

Been noticing some play in my threadless headset since I made the new moto. Had a hunch that I should remove the stem and cap and check out the star nut. Good thing I did! The star nut has been wandering up the steerer tube, maybe 3 mm from the top. I pounded the star nut back into a more realistic position, about 20 mm down, then replaced the stem and top cap. My bearing adjustment is good for now, but I suppose that the motor vibration promotes upper migration of the star nut. I'll have to keep an eye on this.

I dealt with the teeny gas leak in my new gas line. I bout some Seal All at a hardware store because it claims to be fast setting and highly resistant to gasoline and petroleum products. Put a blob of that between all my fittings and everything is all dry now.

I have also been noticing a lot of vibration from the rear wheel at high speeds, like it is out of balance. I have just installed one of those ultra thick Slime tubes and pumped it up to 50 psi. I took at good look to see if the tire was seated correctly.. It appeared as though the bead was slightly out in two places and down too deep in another place. I let the air out til the rear tire was quite soft and aligned the tire bead as best I could.I reinflated the tire to 40 psi this time - I do want a smooth ride - and took a couple of high speed runs. Big ride improvement!

Outside of all that, everything is perfect! Ha!

=Timbone=

Back