Exhaust Insides of exhaust are gone how do I replace?

Local time
6:38 AM
So long story short, one day I was testing the bike and a hear a pop and mettle jangling and the bike exhaust is suddenly louder. Turns out the internals of the exhaust were shot out somewhere. Couldn't find the pieces. I gave up on the bike for a while and now I'm stuck using it. I've got it running better than before but it's loud as heck.

Is there anything you guys can recommend to make the exhaust quieter until I can buy a new one?

pack it with steel wool and hose clamp a bit of screen on the end. that should last you long enough to get a new one

if you can weld, look up porter steel-pac mufflers and make that design work

I've heard of using steel wool so I looked it up and it seemed like it was too flammable.

I was thinking of maybe using ov-gloves instead lol. They don't seem to catch fire. Just didn't know if it would be too much back pressure.

steel wool only burns easily if you put current through it, ambient heat won't light it up

find those stainless scourer pads rather than genuine steel wool. or copper ones. the ones that look like lil springs all tangled up rather than super fine wires. always used to have fun setting them on fire... you know, iron when burning releases more energy than the equivalent weight of timber?

Sorry it's taken so long to update you guys. I took your advice about the steel wool. I got ones with the thickest strands to avoid them catching fire. Haven't had a problem with that. I shoved a pipe through the middle of them to make it so they wouldn't be too restrictive. I then cut a small notch in the exhaust and used a hose clamp on the inside of the pipe (putting pressure outwards instead of clamping inward) with a screen over it to keep everything in. The pressure of the clamp has proved to be enough to keep everything from moving even over rough terrain. It's not quiet by any means but it's not as loud as originally. maybe 30-40% quieter. That's anecdotal though. I haven't actually measured db levels. If you guys care I will though.

zmHOK0A.jpg89678Lu.jpg

it's also less restrictive than the stock muffler, and looks pretty great. if you want to make it even quieter you can just pack more steel wool in it

Thank you. Hopefully this helps others out as well knowing that the wool won't incinerate in the exhaust. It gets dirty and it may not last forever but it's held up for me andi haven't had any issues with it falling out or anything.

I think it is wise to also just slam a generic lawnmower muffler on there and take the issue of weight ruining the exhaust studs over time. The entire stock muffler is designed to fail. The insides falling out can maybe be prevented with red locktite, but the overall stress on the exhaust studs will, at the very least, continue to work the muffler loose and, at worst, destroy the studs/ threads. I had experienced more problems with the exhaust than any other system on the motorbike.

Back