Clutch Clutch seems to not engage?

Snowpoison

Local time
7:50 AM
Ok so I went on my first decently long ride on my MB to a wawa around where I live. I pull out of the parking lot and start heading home. I stop at a stop sign and when I engage the clutch to start going again nothing happens. The engine just kept idling and had absolutely no resistance with the wheel. Eventually the engine shut off. So I pedal the bike to speed and engage the clutch, nothing! It just kept rolling! Absolutely no resistance! The motor isn't being turned over, the back wheel just spins freely with the clutch engaged! Yes, the sprocket and chain are connected. Yes the clutch cable is connected and physically moves the lever. I can't see any defect with the lever on the engine the cable is attached to, nothing inside looks broken. Any ideas? It was running perfect up until then. Thanks in advance guys :D

my guess would be a woodruff key has sheared (or was left out at the factory) - open the covers and see where the spinning stops when you roll the bike

thats the first suspect, closely followed by the star/flower nut being ridiculously loose, followed by the internal tension springs somehow loosened itself off.

you can scratch my suggestions if the clutch still feels like a clutch, and then you do exactly as crassius says :)

OK so I just got around to taking another look at my bike. So under the crankshaft cover the big gear is spinning the little one, but the little one won't turn the crank shaft. Any thoughts?

Back