always the last mile home...

I am averaging a puncture every 10,000 kilometers (6,000 miles) which is a self repeating exercise, considering that the valve stem rips out of the tube; due to running low tyre pressures - front @ 20 PSI and rear @ 24 PSI.

i cant run that low due to riding on the road, bunnyhopping curbs and dealing with potholes. did i mention that ive almost forgotten how to use patches its been that long since i experienced a foreigner in the wheel? :) good old 26" :)

reminds me of the days i rode around on a bmx. there was a particularly nice pile of dirt over a tree root about three houses down, i used to launch a few metres off of...until the guy living there decided to scatter short pieces of barbed wire all over the landing zone... i believe his name was wayne kerr... :giggle: he was sued after someones very expensive horse was crippled though, i was only to happy to give evidence :) he had to sell up. lot of horses around here, and a reputation is like diarrhoea...sticks :)

I am greatly appreciative of your efforts; messing around to find a more optimal solution to magneto output power.

why thankyou...the mills running as i type, im working on a bolt on coil now. better be worth it! makes more sense to do it this way ;)

Last edited:
Low pressures allow both tyres to rotate around the rim; partly from hard braking (using a 9" disk rotor) and partly from low drivetrain gearing that places huge torque loads through the rear wheel. There's only so much that the tube can take

almost every time i take the pitbike for a ride i take out a tube because 12 psi has such better traction than the 24-30 required to keep the tyre from slipping... even the front one tears out regularly :devilish:

i cant run that low

Yes you can

due to riding on the road,

I ride on the road and no issues for me

i cant run that lo[w...], bunnyhopping curbs and dealing with potholes

The don't bunnyhop and simply steer around potholes - such problems can be solved in an instant.
Your issues are self created, and you give a poor excuse to self justify higher pressures; sacrificing comfort in the process.

the mills running as i type, im working on a bolt on coil [now...] makes more sense to do it this way ;)

I want the first production magneto coil that has been proven to operate with first grade reliability upon successful completion of pre-production product testing and durability trials.

d is full of tools :) whole house actually...

lucky i dont dismember her and leave her broken body parts on shelves as "trophies" :giggle:

fabian... im not about to come on and talk up how my bike can get countless miles without a mishap, thats just plain normal. (well, ok, sometimes i will... :p) its the breakdowns that i find amusing, and like to share the experiences :) the irony of getting a puncture just after fitting a new tyre...i find that particularly delightful in my twisted and warped view on the world...and dont forget i was running an experimental, handwound magneto and was "testing" it out (for everyones benefit)... still. this particular engine keeps lugging along despite the daily torture sessions. :rolleyes: more trophies in the making one day :giggle: i really want to know what lets go first :)

the things attached to the engine on the other hand...them, i dont care about. are you trying to tell us that you NEVER get a puncture? yeah...right ;)[/QUOTE]

When people ask if they can ride my bike I tell them I'd rather they ride my girlfriend than ride my bike. I can always get another girlfriend. HeadMess were you talking about your bike or your girlfriend? Lol.

d is full of tools :) whole house actually...

lucky i dont dismember her and leave her broken body parts on shelves as "trophies" :giggle:

fabian... im not about to come on and talk up how my bike can get countless miles without a mishap, thats just plain normal. (well, ok, sometimes i will... :p) its the breakdowns that i find amusing, and like to share the experiences :) the irony of getting a puncture just after fitting a new tyre...i find that particularly delightful in my twisted and warped view on the world...and dont forget i was running an experimental, handwound magneto and was "testing" it out (for everyones benefit)... still. this particular engine keeps lugging along despite the daily torture sessions. :rolleyes: more trophies in the making one day :giggle: i really want to know what lets go first :)

the things attached to the engine on the other hand...them, i dont care about. are you trying to tell us that you NEVER get a puncture? yeah...right ;)[/QUOTE]

When people ask if they can ride my bike I tell them I'd rather they ride my girlfriend than ride my bike. I can always get another girlfriend. HeadMess were you talking about your bike or your girlfriend? Lol.

I don't like the way low pressure feels so floaty, I keep mine at 40-ish psi. I've never had a flat other than ones caused by tires wearing all the way down to the tubes and that usually takes a really long time to happen

I can certainly see wanting comfort but I don't think tire pressure is the place to look for it. the sidewall height on a bicycle tire is too small to make a truly significant difference

There is plenty of sidewall height on a 2.125 inch wide mountain bike tyre; giving a good 3/4 of an inch of shock absorption and when combined with a wide gel seat and a top of the line suspension seat post, comfort is the word of the day, every day.

Back