Rich? Lean? Leaking? What's going on?

put that cylinder back on! thats the issue!

lol, nah, it just pays to not remove cylinders unless replacing rings etc...naughty!

um. im starting to think...go back to the beginning.

a new carb, normal piston, etc etc...it should start, easily. and rev.

so, something else is suspect, in my opinion.

the oil can get into the clutch side by fuel sitting in that lil hollow just under the carb, seeps into the clutch mechanism, and other than getting oil on the pads, isnt a major issue. could just be previous owner tried putting oil in there... and yeah, normally the magneto side is the weak one.

shame its 2nd hand because then you dont get the gear puller so you can actually LOOK at the crank seal. sometimes they just work their way out and rub through. maybe try filling the case up full with fuel? kero is less dangerous, but any fluid will make any leaks obvious, and water is obviously not really suitable... just drain it before trying to start it again, or you WILL pop a seal :giggle:

the thing turns over easy enough to kick start with no real hassles... oh dear... way too easy from my experience!

might be new rings and cylinder stage. usual cause for starting, but with absolutely no get up and go. you also have no real idea how long the guy used it for?

hows the cylinder look, inside the bore? any gouges, chrome missing, etc? rings? are they smooth and shiny or can you see lil ridges, grooves in them? newish rings have lil grooves. well worn rings go smooth and shiny.

erm. get a cable on it. could just be a simple air leak because theres no outer cable to seal it up.

but...when you remove carb, and dump fuel down the intake...does it do exactly what its doing on the video, run, but only just? (bad)

or does it start, and then really rev up and die after a few seconds? (good) you only said it fires...not that it revs its **** off briefly!

if it does peak out no worries...then its the carb at fault, and i have no idea why if its clean!

otherwise... rebuild kit :( meh, a whole engine doesnt really cost that much more. then if its fresh in a box you know that no idiot has been at it, as disheartening as it is... and have some spare parts, to boot!

well...just the rings alone are cheap, but youll need to hone the cylinder still. sandpaper on a stick, held in a drill doesnt really do quite the same job...

the rings were pretty smooth, but they were quite thick. Do you think worn piston rings can do that?
When I got it running, I could rev it when I pulled the throttle up, I just had to be careful not to drop it too low or it would just cut out.

I'll try put petrol in the intake tomorrow. (when the noise won't annoy everyone sleeping)

The previous guy said "A few years"

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
aw, not tooo bad. but still, it starts adding up when something is wrong... as long as he wasnt asking something really ridiculous...

you got a frame already set up. spare parts. meh. rings and hone. should be right...should be :)

new engine only is like $90 usd on ebay last I checked. might be worth just eliminating the headache and buying a fresh engine

Back