Clutch Pad Replacement

Timbone

Local time
1:56 AM
I've put well over 1000 miles on my motorbike and I've had to make several adjustments to the clutch. It's never difficult.

I still have plenty of meat on my trapezoidal clutch pads but there will certainly be a time when they require replacement. I've done a lot of searching on this site and I can find nothing about what material can be used for a DIY replacement.

For fun, I made a template of the clutch pads and used it to cut up pieces out of thick bungee cord material. Unless they are too grabby, I can't imagine that these will not make a very good replacement. Is there something I am not considering here? Anyone care to make bets as to whether or not this will work?

=Timbone=

Yes, I could spend $25 and order a new set of clutch pads. In fact, I my end up doing that. But surely we can find a simple replacementmaterial.

I'd also like to know what the rag joint material is so as to find a suitable replacement for my next build.

I'd like to fab up as much of my own stuff as possible.

=Timbone=

haven't looked in a while, but those pads used to be about $6 - whole clutch used to be about $14

last I looked it was about $8 to replace the pads.

You shouldn't be using the rag joint system, it's an unreliable piece of garbage and I'm surprised nobody has been sued over it yet.

Yes, I could spend $25 and order a new set of clutch pads. In fact, I my end up doing that. But surely we can find a simple replacementmaterial.

I'd also like to know what the rag joint material is so as to find a suitable replacement for my next build.

I'd like to fab up as much of my own stuff as possible.

=Timbone=
Replacement clutch pads are cheap.
I sell them out of my store for under $5 for a set of 16

Rag joint rubbers are quite obviously made out of tire side walls.
I have some with with Chinese characters on them.

haven't looked in a while, but those pads used to be about $6 - whole clutch used to be about $14

At various vendor sites, I am seeing clutch pad replacement sets at anywhere from $9 to $15 - then you gotta add shipping.

Surely there is a cheap, effective substitute.

=Timbone=

Back