Chain keeps busting

Yes ..i am new at selling these bikes...i test rode the bikes ..they both rode fine..one of them i used for 2 months..the other about 6 miles.
My point is..there is no school..or class that teaches installation...people make youtube videos and leave out many things ..building these bikes require experience..so 2 bikes broke chains..Im paying for this mistake by taking a loss..but now the experience is what i paid for. The book doesnt tell everything..all the book says about the idler pulley is that it doesnt come in black and make sure to use the rubber spacer..WOW HOW IMPORTANT!! meanwhile..there is swapping tricks to be done on that pulley to align the chain ! whether a buyer is mechanically inclined is not my problem..i send them home with a paper of info.

All i can say is that you must know what you're doing because there is no way that i would sell assembled motorised bicycles; knowing all of the issues that they suffer from, not to mention that a good percentage of people would have poor mechanical aptitude.

If someone wants to build a motorised bicycle themselves from a bunch of parts, that's another matter because they take their own life into their hands; being responsible for their own workmanship.

no one said its a perfect business world ..or..i dont think ive ever heard anyone say its a straight up perfect world.
gotta do what we have to do sometimes...and ill pay the mistake..Atleast it was an unintensional act if it matters.
But hey...i picked up experience doing this ...the same way i picked up experience from fighting in my boxing days.
Not sure how much more there is to learn on these bikes..but I built 2 more and sold them yesterday with no complaint calls so far.
Motorized bicycles seem easy to build...they are..if you have a master by your side that guides you..learning this on your own is like studying a language.

Motorized bicycles seem easy to build...

Don't for one second let their relative simplicity fool you.

Not sure how much more there is to learn on these bikes..

You have no idea how much there is to learn. It took me 2 years to get my bike to a level where it would give dependable reliability.

learning this on your own is like studying a language.

It's far worse than that, it's like trying to learn to read Egyptian hieroglyphics without a teacher or a textbook.

Cmon lets cut him some slack he said hes a beginner at selling these
I agree.
Here are some tips for a builder that wants sale bikes.

1. Build it right from the start and test the **** out of it to be sure.
2. If something goes wrong offer to fix it for free if they bring it back to you.
3. If it was wrecked (there are obvious signs) offer to fix it for a price.

4. Make yourself a 'Bike FAQ' sheet with some 'Care and Feeding' instructions for the customer.
I use this http://kcsbikes.com/careAndFeeding.asp
Something to help the customer or their helper know what is what.

5. If you are going to build for sale don't start with a POS $100 Walmart bike, the rear bearings and coaster brake tend to fail before the engine is even broken in.

Most likely your chain breaking problem is because that Cranbrook back wheel is already shot or you just didn't get the sprocket on right which is a very common problem.

Build 'em right with some class and you'll have customers lined up out the door regardless of what you charge, build crap and you will never get a good name and always have ****ed off people.

Works for me ;-}

So i drive an hour to pick up the bike from the seller..turns out..chain busted because the Maniac Sprocket was clamped on like a loose tooth in a 6 year olds mouth. It lasted her 30 miles. I installed the sprocket tightly its 2 allen bolts...I used the allen key along with plyers to torque them and they still got loose. I am thinking these sprockets require a locktight spray before they are tightened.

Anyone else use maniac sprockets and have trouble?

never used one in 4 or 5 years of repairing these

the round hole in the handle of a crescent wrench slipped over your allen wrench allows a bit more tightening when needed

I don't have any trouble with mine. You'll ruin your tools before you overtighten the thing so keep bearing down on it until you absolutely can't get it any tighter.

I am thinking these sprockets require a locktight spray before they are tightened.

One of my durability certification trails (where others have joined my trips) to allow me to assess the reliability of their bike, the trail is littered with parts that have fallen off in quantity, and in many cases their bikes literally disintegrate to a rolling stop; requiring me to tow them home.

Before starting the trip, my first question is - - - have critical components been assembled with Loctite/threadlock of the correct specification.
When they answer "no", they learn the hard way.

Last edited:
yeah if you're selling those bikes without loctite you might want to recall them before you get someone killed. put some on literally everything with threads

Back