Rebuilding bottom end crank

no, its my definition of not checking anything when installing brand new engines! grrrr! stop quoting one part whilst ignoring the reason for it! i KEEEEEEL you!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
so now fabian is suggesting that he buys his engine from a specific factory that pre-installs every one of his "necessary upgrades" and is implying that the particular chinaman in charge of assembling this super reliable engine is so exacting, that anyone can safely order such an engine, and simply install it brand new from the box, without a first initial "going-over", safe in the knowledge that in over a year, not one nut, bolt or cable shall need adjustment, replacement or other form of maintenance, all this whilst riding daily, covering hundreds of miles all day, every day.

hmmmmmssss..... love to know where this factory is and what the chinamans name is, as would countless thousands of other people.. is the warranty card goldplated too? could you post a pic of it sometime please?

but he is right. this engine was a test, just too see how long it would last if i didnt fiddle with it. only a month before it broke something :) only a further year until something else finally let go. only a year :( i was expecting at least ten!

[grabs an early morning coffee - takes great pleasure from HeadSmess's post]

I need a good dose of humor at this time in the morning :D

and yes, (prior to gaining competence at replacing the 2-stroke crankshaft in Chinese bicycle engines) i used to just bolt in a replacement engine into the bike without any of the horrendous issues that other people have described.
The engines i have purchased are imported into Australia by Powercycle and from what i understand they are sourced from the Nantong Jali factory, which seems to do a fairly reasonable job with the assembly process.

I have never had any engines catastrophically fail (then again i don't rev the rings out of an engine) but over time they just slowly wear out, like any mechanical device.
The engines that have failed prematurely used the caged connecting rod big end bearing design, but having said that, i am still using an original (replacement crankshaft) caged connecting rod big end bearing design (purchased about 5 years ago) in my current engine, and with the Jaguar CDI it's still going strong, which confirms my initial thoughts that the original stock standard CDI is responsible for the majority of connecting rod bearing failures.

Having said that, my engine supplier said that the crowded connecting rod big end bearing design has drastically reduced the amount of engines being returned under warranty, though the engines that i examined showed obvious signs of abuse or simply a failure to add 2-stroke oil to the fuel.

For the time that i have been using these 2-stroke engines, i am more than impressed with the reliability that they can be made to give, considering the low purchase price, not only of the kits, but also of replacement engines. $100 for an engine that will cover 6,000 miles on a bottom end and 2,500 miles on a cylinder is a stonkingly good deal, and then when the heart of the engine dies, it can be replaced for $30.

Not a bad deal in any language.

Last edited:
I agree with both of you. Now please stop the feud (that means an on-going familial conflict for any unfamiliar with the term)

I need a good dose of humor at this time in the morning

and i needed to ride. sorry. PUSH my bike the 25km to work again, like i do every morning :) and back again :) it gets tedious, and i do wear out a lot of shoes, and it really annoys my boss as i only give myself 30 minutes to do so... but the fuel savings! the savings on tyres! chains! oh my! :giggle:

I agree with both of you. Now please stop the feud (that means an on-going familial conflict for any unfamiliar with the term)

but its fun!!!! notice i keep giving him something to work with? watch ;)

im still waiting to suffer ANY bearing failures, con rod failures (found a brand new one with a crack up it...i got a warranty return ;)), piston failures (other than a highly ported one that ive mentioned too many times before that spat a rather unusual part (i know why too)...yet was still running, despite the gouged cylinder wall and sections of one ring that must have gone out the exhaust) and usually...usually i actually do tighten all bolts, having found one or two loose crankcase bolts and the like :) just for once, i really wanted to see what would happen, if i kept my grubby lil fingers off! a month. thats what happens. you get less than a month and something falls out :giggle:

:giggle: its all light hearted humour, not like we are declaring jihads or anything. i keeeeeeel you!

oh, achmed, how i do loves watching you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This not related to subject. What your opinion on hi octane gas versus a hopped motor. I'm talking about 66 HT

This not related to subject. What your opinion on hi octane gas versus a hopped motor. I'm talking about 66 HT

hi octane gas burns SLOWER than low octane gas.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2012/09/octane-ratings

note the part that says "contains the same amount of energy"

you need hi octane AND a hopped up engine, otherwise you are wasting your money. or advanced engine management that goes beyond a new carb and a cdi upgrade....

wrong thread. but hey, if i can hijack...i guess we all can!!!! welcome :)

low octane, with a low compression ratio, will actually produce more power, as the fuel burns faster.

revving its guts out at the same time will prevent detonation.

high octane, will allow one to raise the compression ratio, OR, stay at the same compression ratio, and get "lugged down" more, without detonation.

as SPEED increases, octane can be REDUCED.

as COMPRESSION increases, octane must be INCREASED.

http://www.rc51.org/fuel.htm

could add another thousand links but i want the one that mentions honda using 70 octane by revving to 16000 rpm or more.... meh. i got dog to walk :)

Last edited:
I'm not into modifying my bike for hi performance I was arguing a point with the young man.I'm not talking about gas I'm talking about klotz racing fuel,there's a difference

Back