Rebuilding bottom end crank

High octane fuel in itself will not add more power. As HeadSmess said, it just burns slower which is why ultra high rpm engines (like Formula 1 engines) use octane ratings that are almost the same as pump fuel, because the duration of the power stroke is so time limited; necessitating a faster burning fuel.

In our 2-stroke Chinese engines, it pays to use the highest octane (non ethanol) pump grade fuel because oil in the fuel reduces octane rating and also the standard CDI uses an advance curve that is excessively advanced for a 2-stroke engine; leading to detonation problems which consequently hammers out connecting rod bearings. A high octane fuel in this situation helps to manage detonation.

Another factor which HeadSmess alluded to is the notion of fuel octane being related to the desired rpm range you choose to run at.
If you are setting up your engine to operate in the lower rpm range, where good lugging power is desired, it pays to use the highest octane fuel to avoid low rpm detonation issues.

At the end of the day, in real world operation, you are not going to be excessively disadvantaged by running high octane fuel in a low compression Chinese 2-stroke engine and for the low fuel consumption of these engines, the extra cost of (ethanol free) high octane pump grade fuel is negligible.

he....

He...

HE KILLED OUR ARGUMENT!!!!

i hate it when people do that! :giggle:

i usually buy the cheap stuff only because i could not be bothered storing all these silly different combinations of fuel, and i go through a fair bit...not enough to warrant concern over fuel bills, just enough so i flinch filling a 20L jerry can for 35 dollars... when it used to be 17.50 or so. working casually...sometimes that 35 is hard to scratch up! not currently :) if i got rolled with the number of 50's and 100's in my pocket at the moment...someone would be very pleased :)

i doubt it would be me... :giggle:

I'm not into modifying my bike for hi performance I was arguing a point with the young man.I'm not talking about gas I'm talking about klotz racing fuel,there's a difference

no there isn't. it's still gasoline. it's just higher octane

yep, and its still the same as it was last year, and the answer is still the same.

HIGH OCTANE FUEL IS POINTLESS< A WASTE OF MONEY AND PRODUCES LESS POWER UNLESS THE ENGINE IS RUNNING A SUPER HIGH COMPRESSION. (or youre running very slow rpm with high loads)

how many times do we have to repeat that well documented fact until you understand it?

oh well. its your money :p do what you want with it :giggle:

i preferred the previous argument :)

Back