Brakes Improve the performance of coaster brakes?

dotcom

Local time
9:35 PM
I noticed on different bikes with coaster brakes, it's easier to stop with some better than others. I have a beach cruiser that is about a year old and the coaster brake is ok but I want to know if there's a way to improve their performance better by sanding,adjusting or tightening something?

Last edited:
I think that defeats the purpose of my question. I simply need to know how or if it's possible to improve the performance of the brakes by adjusting something, ty

basically, in a nutshell...no.

they are all pretty well much the same internally, just cheap ones are cheap, and hi class (vintage) bendix kickback two speeds are high quality.

thats about all it is...manufacturing quality. the basic design hasnt really changed much over how ever many decades it has been. they did lots of weird things early on, with ramps and splines and stuff, these days...its just a fairly steep thread hooked to the sprocket, one way it pulls a pair of shoes into the hub walls, transferring torque to the wheel. when backpedalled, the shoes are pushed the other way, over a small stop joined to the arm on the LH side, which stops rotation.

thats basically it, anyway. i think there was a thing on the sprocket side and it does the gripping when pedalling, not the shoes. just adding that incase i get trolled :) has been some time since i dug into one!

and there was a spring... a washer with tags... etc...

all you can do is check bearings are tensioned correctly, and the arm is held securely, and yeah...all locknuts are tight too.

do not attempt to swap parts between hubs unless the same manufacturer/model etc.

just get a shiny new shimano coaster, the one on my bike will lock up the back wheel if I'm not careful. that's pretty good for a 24 inch wheel and a 280 pound bike+rider.

If I remember right I think those parts are lubricated.
If so then I think the thickness of the internal grease has some effectiveness on braking efficiency.
try a very thin oil after spraying off all the old lubricant.

I realize I'm a little late on the question but I came across this and had the same question myself.
Here are a couple of cool articles regarding coaster brakes, maintenance and rebuild etc.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/coaster-hub-overhaul-pedal-brake-hub

http://sheldonbrown.com/coaster-brakes.html
Something I took away from the Sheldon Brown link was this.
Lubrication
Coaster brakes are intended to be pretty much packed with grease. There is no part of a coaster brake that can be harmed by grease, so be generous in applying it. You should use a grease with tolerance for high temperatures, such as automotive brake grease, but even so, coaster brakes used in mountainous terrain can "cook" any common grease.

And there are plenty of videos regarding coasters on youtube. I hope some of this helps. I learned a few things and plan to run through all of my coasters over the winter and get them in shape for next year. I use Phil wood grease myself on pretty much everything bicycle related, crank bearings, hub rebuilds, allen bolt threads, pedal threads, stem bolts and wedges etc and haven't had any issues. Although I use ample grease I don't completely fill/pack my hubs with the stuff. Looking around I found that some have had different experiences with varying amounts of grease on coaster brake internals. I plan to research more about how much grease a coaster brake hub should have and where the point of diminishing return is.

Last edited:
Back