Best way about going from 2 stroke to 4 stroke

davidtuerk

Local time
12:26 PM
I have a 2 stroke kit currently installed on my bike, But the engine keeps blowing up, So I want to change it over to a 4 stroke. I should only need a Engine, Mount and a gear box correct? What would be the best way of getting these parts. I am in Ontario so closer is better in terms of shipping.

Thanks in advance!

1st decide what motor/kit you want, then check out vendors/ebay to see where you want to buy. Seems a 49cc HS kit is what you need. Then deciding on the transmission is important too.

After thinking about your ? folks have nothing but good things to say about the Qmatic transmission. Use search a lot of info should pop up.

I have a 2 stroke kit currently installed on my bike, But the engine keeps blowing up, So I want to change it over to a 4 stroke.

A 2-stroke engine is weighs less and is easier to work on and is just as reliable as a 4-stroke if fitted with a Jaguar CDI and the carburettor is jetted correctly.
My last 2-stroke engine ran for 10,000 kilometers (6,000 miles) on the bottom end. I typically get 4,000 kilometers (2,500 miles) out of a cylinder, of which the piston can be reused.

The 49cc HS 142F with 20T/80TFW/12T Grubee 4G belt drive transfer case is pretty solid.
http://gasbike.net

Unfortunately it is only like $15 cheaper to just buy the engine and 4G transfer kit than the whole $350 4-stroke it, but you do end up with a lot of spare parts which is always handy, around here anyway.

A 2-stroke engine is weighs less and is easier to work on and is just as reliable as a 4-stroke if fitted with a Jaguar CDI and the carburettor is jetted correctly.
My last 2-stroke engine ran for 10,000 kilometers (6,000 miles) on the bottom end. I typically get 4,000 kilometers (2,500 miles) out of a cylinder, of which the piston can be reused.

??? what 4 stroke are you comparing w/? I've been running a Honda gxh50 since '07, 6000+ mi, aside from oil changes & cleaning air filter, I've done nothing to it. well, I did have to disconnect the oversensitive low oil shutdown, im oldschool, so I check oil anyways.
if you buy a clone, you get what you pay for. its just like a Honda, but different. theres a reason Honda doesn't contract them to build their engines.
from what I've heard about 2 strokes (rawlyold), tanaka purefire engines are tough & trouble-free.
the Honda 50 & tanakas cost $350-400 new, but they last at least twice as long, so the cost compared to a clone??? I like to know that the only thing that's gonna stop me is a flat or running out of gas---that'll stop a clone too.

I've only had/seen one 4 stroke blow up ever, and It was my Yamaha Apex 1000CC Snowmachine, tossed a connecting rod cap through the crank case. And that was a stupid high revving engine (10,500RPM+). I'd like to get a actual honda but they are just so damn expensive and really I will be only driving my bike for another year or two then I will have my G2 Drivers licence. I could just replace my entire 2 stroke engine for about $145 but I'm not sure if I should do that because it might just be another lemon.

Thoughts?

I've only had/seen one 4 stroke blow up ever, and It was my Yamaha Apex 1000CC Snowmachine, tossed a connecting rod cap through the crank case. And that was a stupid high revving engine (10,500RPM+). I'd like to get a actual honda but they are just so damn expensive and really I will be only driving my bike for another year or two then I will have my G2 Drivers licence. I could just replace my entire 2 stroke engine for about $145 but I'm not sure if I should do that because it might just be another lemon.

Thoughts?

10,500rpm? I doubt they had the motor rebalanced after the mods.
how many miles do you get for $145? Honda 50s were $330 shipped in '07, almost $400 now.
how often did you have to adjust the carb, etc.? I never took my Honda to shop for adjustments after break-in even. clutch pads & drums, oil change, clean air filter, that's all ive done in 7yrs w/ a Honda, need a new friction roller-getting bald, but that and clutch parts aren't Honda.
im sure you could resell a Honda for good money, I buy for reliability. I don't want to be 50 mi from home and have a break down, bum knee wouldn't let me pedal nor push bike back in under 3 days!

Back