Options seem limited these days, whats up ?

Thanks for the pics Jerry ! , why use the tensioner if its unnecessary right? no premature chainring wear ??
Tensioners aka idler pulleys, provide an easy way to adjust for the effects of chain and sprocket wear without having to move fixed parts like a wheel or motor is all.
Just never try to use them to adjust chain path, aka trying to bend thick chain around a wheel.

KC, I would go for an electric.What are we talking as far as torque, top speed and range ?. Also can you comment on charge times and procedure...Thanks.
Have you been golfing and rode an electric golf cart?
It's the same 'snap your head back' instant power without all the weight of lead acid batteries, the weight of the cart, and lack of gears.

In short every electric build I have done even the adult trikes can and will throw you off the bike if you WOT it in a low gear because electrics produce full torque from a dead stop.

Drop by my shop before next week and you can see for yourself on that Specialized and I have the parts on hand to build another.
Contact me from here to arrange a time if you are interested.
http://kcsbikes.com/contact.asp

KC, I am in Lake havasu city.We NEVER go to Phoenix unfortunately.L.a. And Vegas quite a bit.If there was/is an electric kit that could rival the performance of a gx35 crank kit I would definately consider it.I have not looked lately, 5-6 years ago the prices were prohibitive, not sure if they still are for a kit.

Jerry, I need to wait till I see the bike
, stock form is probably quite good enough for my needs, I'm not gonna race the bike.Three usuable gears will be fine, I have no desire to go 50 mph on a bicycle, 30 is fast enough !! lol.

The level ground speed with the 16.07 GB would be between 27-33 mph depending on your weight. The 50 mph is only a downhill speed. The main gears you'd use most of the time is 2(3-6);3(6). 1(1-3) are towing and really steep hill gears. 3(7,8) are overdrive gears for high speeds on long down grades.

That sounds just fine to me Jerry, can't wait to get the kit.I may have build a mister for my front handlebars with this Arizona heat !!, lol.

KC, I am in Lake havasu city.We NEVER go to Phoenix unfortunately.L.a. And Vegas quite a bit.If there was/is an electric kit that could rival the performance of a gx35 crank kit I would definitely consider it.I have not looked lately, 5-6 years ago the prices were prohibitive, not sure if they still are for a kit.
Ahhh Lake Havasu on the Colorado River, home of the London Bridge and wild spring break babes.

I have fond memories of visits there both before and after marriage.

This may have been from one our many trips there for a vacation week...

KCboat.jpg

This was a trip to Lake Powell for my wife and I's honeymoon in '87 but a much better shot of my old rig...

KCboatAndPathfinder1987-Both700.jpg

We have boxes full of 35mm pictures from those adventures not just with my rig above but with my buddy and now bike bike mechanic Cole's jet boat.

Sorry for wandering down memory lane, couldn't help myself ;-}

Gonna go with Honda 50 f/d from staton, due to simplicity.It should have enough power, gonna ask about the .93 roller as I really dont need to go over 25 mph say.I was a little worried about the weight but I think I can deal with it.Cool pics KC ! Careful in LHC nowadays, lots of police activity........Thanks.

The problem with trying to use the SBP SK is you'd be turning the gears in the gearbox anytime you used the pedals. It would cause considerable drag when only using the pedals. The SBP SK 4 stroke is designed for a different drive system and only uses one freewheel. The difference is the Staton SK allows the engine to turn the rear wheel but won't turn the crank. The crank can turn the rear wheel but won't turn the gears in the gearbox. The engine and the crank are completely independent of one another.
Correct, the SBP 4-stroke kit is designed for a freewheeling gearbox output like the 4G.
The drive side chain moves when you pedal but it has no real drag, electrics use this as well.

Back