Too fat for a 4-stroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone looked at the the 26" bike at www.Phantom-bikes.com. $740 plus shipping gives you a great solid stretched frame and plenty of engine space, plus a brake drum, monarch springer and 2.35" road tires. I shopped and looked but just went crazy and bought the whole bike after pricing all of the parts to build my own. I hope my comes close to looking like their demo shot attached!
Ghost 26 Phantom.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I did...I wanted the bike quick do to winter coming and the ghost bike and kit could be shipped out in days vs waiting a month for them to build the bike and ship it out. I'm glad I did it that way I learned a lot. But I didn't save any money ordering it as a kit vs assembled because of the options I added to the kit (big head light and long exhaust pipe).

I got 224 miles and 20 hours on it before winter set in here. Hoping that I'll be able to get in a ride or two in per month this winter.

Last edited:
I looked at the kit and the pieces and then decided to bite the bullet and get one built. The day I ordered the black Ghost 26 they were just finishing one for a January trade show. When I finished the phone call and asked when mine would be built, John said I could have that one and it would ship the next day. That was last Thursday. I have been ordering pieces all weekend that I would like to add or change. I am swapping the handle bar for a straight 24", a new ball bearing throttle assembly, a new leather seat, the tachometer you have and a Cat Eye Patron. I want to add an LED tail light but am still looking. Did you have any issues on the first 200 miles?

Jimmy

After getting the bike and riding it for 10 hours I decided to get the baffle for the exhaust pipe and it made a world of difference. Outside of Phantom Bikes I added an hour/meter, a cateye speedo, rear rack, pannier, front handle bar bag and rear view mirror.

The only problem I've had was the rear sprocket was a little warped but after a call too John they are sending me another one.

Another thing was the gas line supplied in the kit came loose after a big bump I first zip tied it then later bought some tygon gas line from an auto parts store and zip tied it on.

Last edited:
Sadly, but normal stuff! I like the 1 year warranty and lifetime support, that is worth a lot to me. I had a lot of fun building my 2 cycle this year, but it nice to ride it out of the box and then add the good stuff. I can't wait to start posting new pictures. BTW if you ever need to contact me my regular email is jhammond.cpa@gmail.com and my cell is 410-693-2726. I am located in Annapolis, Maryland.

Sadly, but normal stuff! I like the 1 year warranty and lifetime support, that is worth a lot to me. I had a lot of fun building my 2 cycle this year, but it nice to ride it out of the box and then add the good stuff. I can't wait to start posting new pictures. BTW if you ever need to contact me my regular email is jhammond.cpa@gmail.com and my cell is 410-693-2726. I am located in Annapolis, Maryland.

Same to you my email msiert@aol.com and cell 402-510-7022 and I'm in Omaha Nebraska. Looking forward to your pictures.

I hope the package arrives by Friday, picture will follow. BTW what kind of speed to you see on the Cat Eye?
Jimmy

I hope the package arrives by Friday, picture will follow. BTW what kind of speed to you see on the Cat Eye?
Jimmy

The top speed I gotten to is 26.3 which is do to the gearing.

In looking at the GruBee 4G T - Belt manual's chart I have a 1 to 5 trans to belt ratio, 20T driver puley, 100T driven pulley, a 12T output sprocket, with the Phantom 48 tooth wheel sprocket that gives me a top speed of 26.3 mph. I'm guessing they based the chart on the HS 49 cc 4 stroke engine?

I'm happy with that, I don't need to peddle off the line (but I do anyways) and the bike can handle steep hills with only a little help to maintain peed. I like cruising at 20 mph anyway.

Last edited:
I keep a log of trips using the tach times and odometer and it usually averages down to the low 20's on my 2 cycle. I did download a Cat Eye app to record future trips, which should eliminate my paper log. I am not sure what my new gears numbers are yet, but I thought the rear sprocket was a 50. Regardless, those road numbers sound good to me, with less strain on the engine and I like filling up with regular gas. This is a video link to the bike I built this summer, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jzSJ8kgBxk&feature=youtu.be . I hope to have new Phantom Ghost 26 videos soon, from delivery to riding! BTW all aftermarket items have been ordered and shipped, except a tail light. This is the link to the tail light I am favoring http://www.devillecycles.com/LED_tail_light_BLACK.htm and it illuminates the tag. According to John it a pretty simple to wire the new light to the power unit!
Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back