What is going on with my clutch?

Nickledyme

Local time
1:24 PM
Seems over the past couple months I've had to keep pushing the clutch arm(that's what u call it right)further and further back. I've taken off the cover on the other side and tightened that weird looking nut so I don't think that's the problem. Anyone have some insight on this? I'm kinda stumped but plz explain in easy terms if you could.

I haven't had a problem like that, it may be that the cable is stretching or the housing is compressing. If that's the case, there's not much you can do. Stretching is one of those things metal just does on it's own. Keep adjusting the clutch arm I guess.

You do have the lock screw for that flower nut, right?

sounds like cable stretch

procedure is:

adjust cable with clutch handle unlocked

adjust flower nut with clutch handle locked so the flower nut is at first notch that allows free spinning of clutch when you turn the back wheel (adjust tighter till clutch drags a bit, then back off one notch)

recheck cable adjustment with handle unlocked

The clutch pads need time to bed in, so for the first 200 or 300 miles you will need to keep adjusting the flower nut to maintain the correct preload on the clutch.

As the clutch beds in, the clutch arm will change position, so at some point you will need to remove the clutch arm and reposition it to a more favourable angle on the spline.

Ok so the other day things got really bad. I had to manually pop that lil arm out to get going. I ran it like that until I could get it looked at. Only got one guy here who really knows his stuff with these bikes. He replaced the lil ball,the rod and the arm,checked the flower nut and put grease down in with the ball n rod. He said he don't get it but says the crankcase is wearing out and will need a new motor soon. This motor is only about 2 months old and I do put 30 miles a day on it. Does anybody here understand what is going on here?

He did suggest using a piece of grade 8 bolt to make a longer rod because nothing will touch until the arm is pushed pretty much all the way back almost to the carb area. I read about using part of a drill bit. He said would work for awhile but not forever.

I'm pretty sure he said crankcase but he did say inside where the lil ball and rod slide in is wearing futher and further back. Said we could put in a new clutch n everything but for the money I'm better off getting a new motor.

Maybe we can try using the "Socratic Method" so you can find the answer to empower your knowledge base.

Looking at the pics, you can see the cam (that sits in the clutch cover on the left hand side of the engine) and the mandrel which sits inside the clutch shaft, and the clutch shaft

Clutch Cam

Sprocket Clutch Cover

Clutch Mandrel

Clutch Shaft

The flower nut screws onto the threaded end of the mandrel.
If the flower nut were to be screwed on too far, what would the likely outcome be if the cam is to remain in contact with the bucking bar, and how would that effect the position of the clutch cam lever?

http://s1032.photobucket.com/user/killercanuck77/media/Bike stuff/ClutchActuator.gif.html

http://s1032.photobucket.com/user/killercanuck77/media/Bike stuff/CUTAWAY.gif.html

Back