Chain Tensioner are stock chain tensioners even safe?

determined

Local time
10:25 AM
I very new to tis hobby and was wondering if I could just get by with a stock chain tensioner safetly so long as I keep checking it so many miles . im also concerned about the chain coming apart from the master link clip it just doesn't seem to secure so unfortunately I ride slow

Many people never have any problem with the stock tensioner. Some, like myself, have had it had it suddenly come out of alignment and get caught in the spokes at 30 miles per hour. As far as I can tell, it's the specific shape of your chainstay that determines whether or not it's safe.

There are tensioners that mount to the output sprocket cover available for around $40. I have one from turbobuick1 on Ebay and have had zero problems with it. A cheaper option would be to use a chainstay protector under the tensioner or do away with the tensioner and use a half link, but in my opinion a spring-loaded engine-mount tensioner is a better option since chain stretch will never be an issue that way.

This is the chain tensioner I use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/49-66-80cc-...ain-Tensioner-Spring-Loaded-MMB-/181196082385

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Tensioners that are anchored to the seat stay and the chain stay seem to be the safest.

Safe? Sure, they take some adjustment, but I've only have my setup for a smidge over a week and just realized the chain stay that it's attached to is nicely bent from starting it, as well as from a couple derails from misalignment. Not too stoked but it works.

photo1-2.jpg

I always use them, but on a small frame tube I'll saw off a piece of old handlebar, split it into 2 "C" sections and use it to pack the clamp for the adjuster.

I am determined to make a better chain tensioner on the cheap. Since my first great tensioner idea was a failure, I'm wondering in anyone has tried something like this:

I have some jockey / idler pulleys from road bike derailleurs and they appear as though they would mesh nicely with the 415 chain. I found some screw on studs that fit perfectly with the jockey pulley from the bicycle derailleur.

My idea is to use two stainless steel fender washers to sandwich the pulley with appropriate spacers so that the chain would sit down into the pulley much like the stock cheapo tensioner except that it would have a nice little cog to ride on.

From there, it's just a matter of making a bracket and affixing it to the chain stay, squarely if at all possible.

Anybody tried anything like that?

=Timbone=

Back