broken frame

ldad1ad2

Local time
6:47 AM
the frame on my bike snapped on both sides in the back while riding. What caused that? Scared the hell out of me. I don't think these are safe. Will not ride aain.

Pictures? Sounds like your frame had issues before you motorized. Rust and corrosion are bad signs. Stamped and pressed chainstays (Huffy) are another disaster waiting to happen. If it was aluminum, some members have had problems. Been in this hobby for 10 years and most members never have problems with frames. It is important to do a once over on your bike before taking off.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

"frame snapped both sides at back"

im assuming the seat stays have broken.

you chose the wrong type of frame. a light weight racer type where theyre simply brazed to the sides. possibly. simply assuming. seen them break before, hard pressed to break any other type so far.

lesson learnt. inspect frames and pick the one that looks strongest, not cleanest or neatest or a shiniest paintjob.

Sometimes you just get a bad frame that had flaws. Newer discount frames are not as strong as pre-2000 frames. Avoid the frames where the rear cargo rack is welded on. They look clean but the heat of welding weakens the seat stays.

maybe you ride crappy streets with ditches
maybe you are too damn fat
maybe it is an old frame with rust inside the tube
maybe you never did anything to lessen engine vibration and it was vibrating like crazy which weakened the frame and finally broke it

maybe you ride crappy streets with ditches
maybe you are too damn fat
I agree.
The 2 reasons that made my steel frame crack at the top of the down tube, that and no suspension forks on my first bike. Mostly the rubbish streets..
Our streets degrade to the point of rider throwing, car rim smashing potholes then get patched 'till the road is made of patches. That being said it took our roads 5 years to crack the down tube..

I'm gonna have to disagree with the portion of the argument about the rider being overweight. A weak frame is a weak frame, regardless of weight. Perhaps a heavier rider will cause a weak frame to break more quickly, but the problem is still the weak frame. I weigh around 275 (here come the fat jokes, no I don't care if you don't like my weight and calling me fat won't answer the OP's question so move on already) and I have NEVER broken a frame, motorized or otherwise. My first two motorized bikes were built on department store bikes and the first one did crack, but I wasn't riding it and the motor mounts had come loose and the motor was vibrating violently in the frame. I believe that's what broke that frame. I had given it to a friend who did not maintain it as well as I did. My second frame still sits in my basement till I figure out what to do with it or get rid of it. The frame I'm riding now is a repop schwinn cruiser with quarter inch thick walled tubing. The bottom line is that a strong frame will carry a heavy rider without issue, and who cares if someone is overweight? It's perfectly logical to assume that an overweight person might get offended by the word fat, and it's an ugly, hateful word. No, I won't lose weight for you. I should not have to change for other people to accept me. I should not have to lose weight so people won't call me fat. It's my body and my choice. I'm not trying to pick a fight, but if you have the right to judge me, then why don't I have the right to defend myself? Fat is another word that hateful people invented, and using it to describe another person makes you hateful too. It's no different than being racist. Fat, h.o.m.o, the "N" word, white trash, hick, redneck, they are all the same.

Back