Low power, engine cuts out when I stop.

Aidan

Local time
3:56 AM
Hey everyone, it seems my motorbike is out to prove Murphy's law to me. I was riding my bike to a couple job interviews around town and it was fine, but then when I started to head home I got on huge road and realized I had near zero power.

the power is enough to propel the bike, but not at any real speed and the throttle has little response. There isn't much of a difference in engine sound between putting the throttle on a bit and full throttle. Then, when I pull in the clutch and stop the engine cuts out as if I pushed the kill switch. I've checked my fuel line and it's flowing, I've checked my wiring and it's all attached. I can't see anything wrong on the outside of the bike at all in fact.

could the spark plug be gummed up? I haven't checked that yet, I just pedaled home and figured I'd ask you lot before I start tearing my motor apart.

id really appreciate any help, this bike is how I get around!

Never mind, I replaced the spark plug and the motor is running good as new :)

Well, sort of. Now when I pull in the clutch and stop the motor will stop after idling a while, could this be a symptom of a problem or just a factor of the new spark plug?

adjust the throttle stop
check for junk partially blocking fuel flow in the carb jet
tighten screws holding on the stator coil
clean the plug
plane head and cylinder mating surfaces using sandpaper on glass (to insure no head leak reducing cylinder compression)

Back