Annoying engine sound

The only thing that will happen of any great significance is 'noise induced hearing loss', which is "for life".

You wouldn't want to give all the people in the street such a life long penalty for your actions.

I had my exhaust crack thru once 5 mins away from my destination, I ran that engine for about 5 mins to long! It hurts like hell and gives you a nice ring in the ear for a good long while.

Now I am the sort of guy who enjoys using his full bore ex military rifle with no hearing protection cause I love the boom, I wouldn't consider myself a "noise cat" but that engine noise! DAMN!

Last edited:
I have found that cutting the internal muffler pipe and leaving it's length approx 2 inches from the bottom of the removable muffler cap to be an improvement.

The left over metal tube can then be cut into two equal lengths to be inserted into strategic points inside half inch internal diameter chemical and heat resistant silicone tubing, as to prevent it being crushed when zip tied to the bicycle frame.

The silicone tubing does a terrific job of absorbing noise:

http://www.motoredbikes.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52549&d=1397371672

I had to ride without a muffler or most of one for about a week. I'm no stranger to how loud that thing can get. Luckily I don't work in town so the only person I will be bothering is myself.
I don't know about taking that end cap off tho. Knowing me I won't be able to get the thing back on lol

don't worry about bothering people, if they can't see you they should be able to hear you. you want people to know you're there.

don't worry about bothering people, if they can't see you they should be able to hear you.

, then your solution is for people to put a paper bag over their heads so they won't be able to hear the infernal noise of an unmuffled 2-stroke motorized bicycle?

I'm talking about if you're riding in a blind spot for whatever reason or you encounter a driver too busy with his phone to double check for cyclists. I've had people not see me while I'm riding in the middle of the day wearing reflective gear and nearly run me down. I don't care if a cager can't hear his radio over my engine.

I think I'm good with being that loud on my bike. I live in the middle of downtown, but taking the muffler off in the middle of nowhere to see if I can hear anything I shouldn't will work. I was gonna do that today but was having chain tensioner issues. It kept moving outta place just enough to snag n annoy the hell out of me. I fixed that issue and will try taking my muffler off tomorrow at some point.

Back