Porting past flange diameter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wanted to sneak in on (or possibly register for) fluid mechanics classes, I have all the pre-reqs!

I will eventually experiment with my header length later this year and will now have a greater consideration of header ID.

I've always wanted to sneak in on (or possibly register for) fluid mechanics classes, I have all the pre-reqs!

I will eventually experiment with my header length later this year and will now have a greater consideration of header ID.

I should let it be known that most of that theory is coming from a 4 stroke world. In all honesty, in a 2 stroke it would seem more beneficial to kind of work it inside out and backwards from the ideal setup of a 4 stroke. (I have subsequently edited my previous post to reflect that)

Explanation. On the intake side, having the port actually larger than the diameter of the intake manifold tube from the carb would create that same reversion preventing vortex effect, and in effect would reduce the amount of intake charge pushed back out during cylinder down travel. And having the manifold flange and exhaust tube being smaller than the exhaust port to some degree would help limit how much fresh intake charge was pushed out of the cylinder (and regulate chamber temps) during the exhaust cycle. 2 stroke engines, by nature, are far more sensitive and reliant on port shape, size, position, etc than any 4 stroke, because they rely on those for the same function as multiple parts on a typical 4 stroke.

It would be kind of fun to experiment with different combinations and record the results though. 2 strokes are still a relatively new world to me, but there is a lot of good info out there that I am reading up on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back