DIY LED Timiing Light

• Thread starter Deleted member 12676
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12676

Here is my design for a DIY timing light after wasting hundreds of dollars buying different ones, none of which worked. I know the wire around the spark plug wire is without return connection to the circuit but it works by picking up electrostatic energy which uses air as return loop. This only works when it is dark as the light is not strong. But it works great for the small cost.
LEDtiming.gif
LED Timing Light Parts List
source: www.mouser.com

4 white light LEDs 638-33415X2C11SUA $.59 each
2 1N4001 diode 1N4001 $.13 each
1 5.1v zener diode 610-1N751A $.34
1 2N7000 FET 512-2N7000 $.42
1 10 ohm resistor 660-MF1/2LCT52R100J $.13
1 1.8K resistor 291-1.8K-RC $.10
1 100K resistor 291-100K-RC $.10
1 .01uf capacitor 581-SR155C103KAATR1 $.19
1 12 volt regulated supply 418-TRG1512-12-V $15.87
1 2.5/5.5mm jack 163-4305-E $2.98
Total before shipping = $22.75

point at the rotating magnet. but first find top dead center (where piston is exactly at the top of its stroke) and mark both the magnet and the steel plate of the stator coil so that at TDC the marks are adjacent. From the TDC mark on the plate make more marks to the left of it every 2mm which equates to 6.4 degrees each mark.
See the light in action at the second video on JNMotors Jaguar CDI page: http://www.jnmotorsbikes.com/Jaguar_CDI_p/jnm1195.htm

I thought so myself but after buying 3 different ones, all not usable for 2 stroke timing, all I can assume is that most of them are made for 4 stroke engines. We live in a 4 stroke world, sigh

I fail to see the difference, my dial back timing light has both 2 stroke and 4 stroke on the same dial, zero is still zero but when you wind it 2 stroke degrees gives a different reading due to the cycle, timing light it self still works off the spark lead exactly the same.

Up to what RPM will it go? How much did it cost? I am offering a DIY alternative to expensive cheaply made timing lights.
I'm not lying, I bought 3 different ones and the best one worked for 5 minutes. All cheap Chinese junk.
If you got one that actually works, then good for you. Tell others where to buy it.
But still the purpose of this thread is to let others have a cheap way to get it done. It is not for mechanics who do timing regularly though because of the weakness of the light.
Probably the only people on this forum who might make one is those who like tinkering with electronics and want to actually see their engines timing change with RPM. With these electronic ignitions it isn't like the old days where you used a timing light regularly because your car used points which wore down and had to be adjusted regularly and then finally replaced.
A timing light now is not a necessity, only a curiosity.

$80 second hand,had it in my kit already (to tune cars) works at any RPM, you simply turn the dial at the desired RPM you require till TDC lines up then read the degree off the dial. No need to mark inaccurate increments.

Back