Anti chain suck & chain stabilisation system

Fabian

Local time
8:49 PM
These photos better show the inner face of the chain stabilisation that completely "stops" chain suck.

If you look carefully you'll see that i had to totally encapsulate the chain as it travels over the first idler wheel (to prevent it jumping the flange) and required a device that sits (on the inner face) in between the forward and rearward idler wheels to prevent the chain from squeezing through the gap.

The right hand side of the bike needed a larger disk glued onto the rearward idler wheel to stop the chain from squeezing itself in between the gap of the right hand side idler wheels.
It was just unbelievable how the chain managed to find a way of escaping the idler wheels (given an opportunity), especially the front idler wheel which required a complete loop to surround the flanges to stop the chain trying to jump over the left and right side of the forward idler wheel flanges.

This system has completely stopped all of the chain suck issues i was having; when the bike bashed and bounced over heavily potholed and washed out roads and logging tracks.

Last edited:
Thanks for a very useful and informative thread, Fabian. I'm sure with these even more clear pics and description I will be able to fashion something that will do the job and even be a little more slick too, since I'll not have to go through so much experimentation I'll be able to build all the features you mentioned right from the start.

Is the box-shaped whatsit something you made from scratch? Please can I have the inner dimensions? :D

Is the box-shaped whatsit something you made from scratch? Please can I have the inner dimensions? :D

Yes, it is made from scratch. I will have to measure up the dimensions.
I am sure that you can simplify the design, or make the components better integrated and more compact. I just used the available parts from kits that were sitting unused in a box, then i cobbled together my design; refining it till the chain drive system was completely reliable, under harsh riding conditions.

Back