My first CUSTOM build

Ok, so I see everyone building their bike I figured I'd start my own build thread in hopes that I can get some good feedback and if anything ideas on where to go with everything. Here is a pic of the jig I setup and the bike sitting in roughly the place it will stand once done. This is a one off build and will be built with chromoly tubing, a pit bike engine, and a jackshaft assembly similar to what I have seen on the motopeds.com build and sickbikeparts jackshaft setup. What I have on order that should be here in a few days: exhaust, handle bars, sprockets for wheel and jack shaft, and disk brakes. What I have now: head tube, wheels and tires, engine, seat, track ends, throttle, carb, (air filter on order). What was custom made: the rear hub which is a dual disk rear from Phil Woods..This will give me disk brakes and bolt holes for the sprocket on either side of the hub. Tires are Hookworms and Halo SAS rims with a Halo Spin doctor from hub...using a Manitou Circus front fork(really stout little fork for the price)..Using a Cane Creek headset and the head tube is a 44mm 4130 tube from paragon machine works. Whats needed: tubing(measurments for tubing), 3/4" shaft for sprockets to ride on, a custom made bottom bracket or I might decide to go with SBP wide bottom bracket setup but not sure if will be wide enough for what I need(if anyone has exact measurements of how wide it is after pedals installed that would be awesome)

Now let me know your feedback..PLEASE!! 20131229_193439.jpg

chain tensioner (guide)

I needed to fund some chain guides/tensioners for the build and decided to buy a Blackspire chain guides for the bicycle chain but then I needed one for the 420 chain I am using and don't believe Blackspire guide will fit that chain so I said what the heck..I have two brand new bearings and some Delrin why not just make one. So here is my rendition. Just need to machine some sleeves for the bearings to run on and so that the 5/16 bolts fit.

Attachments

• IMAG0782.jpg
    IMAG0782.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 600
  • IMAG0781.jpg
    IMAG0781.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 601
I am a little disappointed in myself. Really wanted a much faster build than what is happening now. I will say the shop and I have been talking and from what we talked about Friday our hopes were to have a rolling chassis by mid week. Im hoping my next post will be a pic of a bike that rolls. For those following this I do apologize for not moving faster. :unsure:

Finally...nearly completed frame

Ok, so time has been a little against me. I had really wanted to have a rolling chassis by the beginning of June but things just didn't work out that way but here I am...Hope you guys like. Need to do some trimming and cleaning up but it is nearly complete as far as the main frame parts go. What is needed are tabs for the rear disk calipers, the mount for the jackshaft, some trusses, and the mounting setup where engine will be mounted....Hope you guys like and any feedback please let me know. Seat tube or Seat Pan? Really the only thing I am not totally sure about. IMG_20140612_182026.jpgIMG_20140612_182202.jpg

Really past due on my updates...I'm not even going to go through the long story of whats and ifs and all that crap...I'm just going to say right now things have been crazy...but I did have time the last two days to mock up a replacement hub for rear when the time comes to build another bike. Runs same specs as the one I have but has 6mm bolts instead of 5mm standard disk bolts on sprocket side...might try and sell this if anyone decides they want one after I get a fully machined one done..will run 15mm axle...135mm spacing and 36h...Hope you like..once again its just a mock..was messing around with lathe.

Attachments

• IMAG0837[2].jpg
    IMAG0837[2].jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 520
  • IMAG0836[1].jpg
    IMAG0836[1].jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 539
Updates!!

Ok, finally at a place where life doesn't make since..lol...(bet you weren't expecting that line)....anyways.

Here is the frame literally complete (and yes I know the handle bars are not correct..they need adjusted) I just need to get seat bracket made, engine mounts made, and machine my jackshaft hub. Unfortunately that will be a bit due to school and the new house but I wanted to shoot what I had. Thinking about selling the frame but will see..need to get engine mounted and ride this bad girl before I decide and what kind of feedback I get. Also have some ideas for gas tank that need mocked (think aluminum :whistle: )...well hope you like oh and need to put chain tension mount on drive side but that is an easy piece.

Attachments

• IMAG0001.jpg
    IMAG0001.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 522
  • IMAG0006.jpg
    IMAG0006.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 490
  • IMAG0005.jpg
    IMAG0005.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 471
  • IMAG0004.jpg
    IMAG0004.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 488
  • IMAG0003.jpg
    IMAG0003.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 495
  • IMAG0002.jpg
    IMAG0002.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 504
Awesome build, would love to see your bike at the next Socal Motor Bicycle Racing event on October 18th
at Grange Motor Circuit near Victorville.

Would love to come but going to California would be near impossible during then and only because we are expecting our next kid on the 31st and leaving my wife during then...she would never let me lol

Projects like this always take way longer than expected...even when you expect them to take a long time.

Beautiful work, top quality, keep doing what you are doing, don't start rushing.

Engine Mock Up

Ok been messing around with the engine mounts and I think I've got it where I want it. Initially had the engine an inch lower but it was just a little too close for the pedals so recut some new motor brackets with the engine mount holes an inch higher and I'm pretty sure I've covered my bases for the pedals. Need to start mocking up jack shaft hub for drive train and then seat mount. I was going to do a seat pan but after looking at how I want as an overall look I think I am going to stick to the Felt(brand) bicycle seat. Any feedback is good feedback..cause in the end I'm thinking of selling the frame as a kit..sorry for dirty background we are in the process of moving.

Attachments

• IMAG0030.jpg
    IMAG0030.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 479
  • IMAG0033.jpg
    IMAG0033.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 452
  • IMAG0034.jpg
    IMAG0034.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 446
Really sorry for the late update

Ok, its been a crazy past few weeks. We finally closed on our house so messing around with the build has been little if that and finals (yes school..blah..I feel old)...anyways. Classes are done and its time to start packing. We are moving into the house in two weeks time so the build will not be as fast come forth but I intend to spend as much time as humanly possible without getting yelled at from the wife. BUT, I did get some work done on the bike. Finally got the engine mounts finalized and got some gussets put on the bike as well as mock ups for the rear chain tensioner. I've also decided how I am going to mount the seat which will allow for anyone to utilize more seat combos and it keeps it more bicycle in regards to the setup as well. The bike is on the frame jig right now so that I can finish up the jackshaft hub but waiting on a drive sprocket to come in so that I can set up the chains a bit more straight before I rush into machining that hub..OK OK..enough talking here is some pics I just took. Pardon the mess we are packing..

Attachments

• IMAG0135.jpg
    IMAG0135.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 514
  • IMAG0134.jpg
    IMAG0134.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 372
  • IMAG0133.jpg
    IMAG0133.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 383
  • IMAG0132.jpg
    IMAG0132.jpg