My first CUSTOM build

Ok, so I see everyone building their bike I figured I'd start my own build thread in hopes that I can get some good feedback and if anything ideas on where to go with everything. Here is a pic of the jig I setup and the bike sitting in roughly the place it will stand once done. This is a one off build and will be built with chromoly tubing, a pit bike engine, and a jackshaft assembly similar to what I have seen on the motopeds.com build and sickbikeparts jackshaft setup. What I have on order that should be here in a few days: exhaust, handle bars, sprockets for wheel and jack shaft, and disk brakes. What I have now: head tube, wheels and tires, engine, seat, track ends, throttle, carb, (air filter on order). What was custom made: the rear hub which is a dual disk rear from Phil Woods..This will give me disk brakes and bolt holes for the sprocket on either side of the hub. Tires are Hookworms and Halo SAS rims with a Halo Spin doctor from hub...using a Manitou Circus front fork(really stout little fork for the price)..Using a Cane Creek headset and the head tube is a 44mm 4130 tube from paragon machine works. Whats needed: tubing(measurments for tubing), 3/4" shaft for sprockets to ride on, a custom made bottom bracket or I might decide to go with SBP wide bottom bracket setup but not sure if will be wide enough for what I need(if anyone has exact measurements of how wide it is after pedals installed that would be awesome)

Now let me know your feedback..PLEASE!! 20131229_193439.jpg

I just did it on the piece first time...I use a fairly long boring bar and made the cutter. Once I did one side I did have to take the hub off and turn it around and cut the opposite side a bit deeper. Reason being is due to the fact that the boring was so long that once it got to the other side it was flexing/bowing a bit which caused it to not cut as deep on the opposite side but because it did still cut some lining it up again was a piece of cake. I'm done moving but now need to do some unboxing so will have a little down time on the build. But at this point the bike is literally done. Gas tank and brake lines are the last things that are truly needed for the build minus some little details like paint. Thinking about just slapping the jack shaft hub on and putting forks back on and taking it for a ride but I'm also hesitant because taking the headset off and on I don't want to mess up the races before I get it painted so...decisions decisions

be a shame to let it get rusty but still....youve been waiting a long time! whats the cost of two bearings? pfft! assemble it and ride it!

Ok..bike seat mount welded on..finally...and bike primered black after spending a good hour cleaning it up..until I get more time to actually paint it correctly..just trying to protect metal until then..hoping by this weekend will have bike fully operational and rolling..Will probably just use a rigged water bottle as a tank until I have a fully aluminum one welded up.

Attachments

• IMAG0224.jpg
    IMAG0224.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 322
  • IMAG0696.jpg
    IMAG0696.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 334
Just something that came to me that will be coming soon from Pirate Cycles...these things are SICK...two versions will be available..short spindle for a bike like mine and a longer spindle for something special...will let them put it out there once fully tested which will be REALLY soon

All custom baby

These things are sick

Attachments

• IMAG0706.jpg
    IMAG0706.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 314
  • IMAG0707.jpg
    IMAG0707.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 313
  • IMAG0705.jpg
    IMAG0705.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Changing Rear hub...

Ok, I'm running this new hub for sure...Sick...definitely going to be in the build.

Attachments

• IMAG0719 (1).jpg
    IMAG0719 (1).jpg
    27 KB · Views: 316
  • IMAG0718.jpg
    IMAG0718.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 319
Updated Pics

Will have new hub mounted shortly but until then I need to get this thing moving. Will be getting laced up mid to late next week after I mount and get all other components installed. Hope you enjoy...will follow up later tonight/early tomorrow morning with more pics

Attachments

• DSC_0258.jpg
    DSC_0258.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 313
  • DSC_0251.jpg
    DSC_0251.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 334
  • DSC_0268.jpg
    DSC_0268.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 328
  • DSC_0259.jpg
    DSC_0259.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 301
  • DSC_0253.jpg
    DSC_0253.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 317
First real dry run

Ok, I had to go for a little pedal run...I just had to see how i'd be looking...Still needs quite a bit of chain adjusting but that is because I do not have the correct shaft on there for the jack shaft(just needs to be cut to size)..but I ran it with just pedal power and no engine chain to jack shaft...Man this thing is going to be sweet once I got it all together..May need to put smaller crank arms but then again the tires are not fully inflated because I just didn't have time to inflate them...its dark and for some reason I can't find my pump. Anyways here are a few pics with nearly everything installed..Thoughts please..feedback is always good.

Attachments

• DSC_0252.jpg
    DSC_0252.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 300
  • DSC_0254.jpg
    DSC_0254.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 307
  • DSC_0250.jpg
    DSC_0250.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 323
not bad, not bad at all :)

about, what...75-85 mm of trail? hows the steering feel?

you can never find anything just as the latest projects are nearing the test ride point! its a given that the pump will be at the other end of the property to where it was last seen and used...

i know that the engine is mounted exactly the same way on normal motorbikes, but gee...really looks like it needs a head bracket connected to the downtube... just sorta empty and bare up front... of course it will change a bit with a tank, carb and air filter, all that stuff. just looks forlorn, all dangling out in the breeze like that...

might change with the fuel tank...exhaust? you could stuff a fairly big chamber down in the bend there... more silent the better, i say :)

oh. these engines SIP the fuel, like teetotallers at a bar... youll almost run it dry just because everytime you check, it still seems full, until you get complacent and stop looking!

Fuel tank is still up in the air how I'm going to run one but it's coming..exhaust will be a under fit..Will run just below the bottom of the engine. The engine does look a little bare but so much to do and so little time. I'm going to try and get it running next week..still need brake cables though and I have a different custom hub I want to run...it's a pirate cycles hub that it's coming soon to the masses..

Back