atombikes' 2007 Whizzer NE5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will do. Thanks for the info.

Move motor to allow carburetor to clear the frame.

You should be able to easily move the motor and maintain correct belt tension.

I would suggest you replace the VERY low quality front belt as it isn't the correct type for a Whizzer. Use an AX27 belt as it has notches to allow it to travel around small pulleys without over heating and glazing [as does the cheap FHP 4L290 belt].

Have fun,

Ordered an AX27 belt from NAPA for the front drive. Thanks Quenton.

Also, due to your suggestion of using Harley signal pods, I wandered onto ebay and found these cheapo aftermarket signals. Should be an interesting exercise to see if these will work well as a replacement for the new Whizzer signals. These are also plastic housings as the Whizzer ones are, but these are only $6.55 SHIPPED for a set of four. The size is comparable.

TK_CB183-4-EP98.jpg

TK_CB183-1-EP98.jpg

I don't have turn signals on any of my bikes. I just use hand signals. I think people can see your arm sticking out faster than they will see the blinker. That's if they see us at all lol

I don't have turn signals on any of my bikes. I just use hand signals. I think people can see your arm sticking out faster than they will see the blinker. That's if they see us at all lol

Yeah, I hear ya. I feel like that riding my bicycle on the streets. I decided that since my Whizzer came with signals, I would keep them. But then I found out the left rear had been broken and poorly repaired (with JBWeld, I think) by the original owner, and truthfully the plastic chrome was crazed and not so nice. So I decided to replace them, but with a super cheap alternative to the stock blinkers. Hope they work and fit OK. Kinda have that '70's look.

I made signals for my bike with those exact lights....except mine were black. Also made some for my neighbors bike. They are a little fragile, but work perfect. I ended up buying 4 more just in case one (or more) breaks.

I made signals for my bike with those exact lights....except mine were black. Also made some for my neighbors bike. They are a little fragile, but work perfect. I ended up buying 4 more just in case one (or more) breaks.

Oh that's good to know. Thanks.

The weather was nice enough to finally get the Whizzer out. Had it up to almost 40 mph, but I noticed that every time I took it above 35 it was hesitating. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of fine tuning, but for basically the first ride it was great.

20140309_160348.jpg

Scored a Worksman front wheel with Atom drum hub for the Whizzer at the Memory Lane swap meet today in Grand Rapids, OH. Going to hold onto it and look for a matching rear wheel.

20140425_173201.jpg

20140425_173145.jpg

Agh! What's going on? After leaving the bike sit for couple months (work assignment), I tried to fire up the Whizzer but it's very hard to start and keep running. This AM I tore into the fuel system and the carb looks like this, with powdery white corrosion (I think) inside:

20141025_084553.jpg

and the gas tank looks like this:

20141025_091105.jpg

What's happening here????

Atombikes, you clearly got some moisture in your tank somehow. Perhaps some bad gas? Here is a link that maybe helpful to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE9CP9zdhUI It's a youtube video for removing rust from a tank. I suppose you could find a product at a auto parts store.
I recently cleaned my carb. Be careful if you take the float off because there is a little metal piece in there that I think is to keep the float from going all the way up. I put it in the wrong way and could not get any gas through the carb. I had to take it apart and turn it around.
You could buy a little kit of wires to clean out the jets. Very thin wire used to clean out the small holes in a welding torch or I used a bread tie that I burned the paper coating off of.Take note of the screw settings if you remove them. You could also use a strand of wire off a brake or throttle cable. If you need a new carb don't but one of those over priced whizzer carbs, you can find the same thing on eBay for under $20.
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back