Position of SLA batteries

dougsr.874

Local time
3:18 AM
Can SLA battereries be used okay if they are laying on their sides....or must they be upright...

even if they are sealed- I would use them upright because the plates inside are likely supported better than any other position.

SEALED SLA batteries can be mounted in any position safely, BUT I would not recommend upside down, My first build was up because of fitment, the build now will be on their side,
I am using a Amped kit, Ca local, 350 Watts and 36 Volts (3 12 volt Batteries)
Have Fun, TomyJ

SLA battery positions

I wouldn't do it, would you run your SLA car batt on its side?
"Are you thinking or Knowing"? ask the people who know for sure (positive knowledge) I asked the battery people because I need a low center of gravity and to be narrow with the frame, HPIM1673.jpgHPIM1645.jpgand have room for my feet next to them. Ca. DMV codes for motorized scooters. Kit coming soon, BeCoool, TomyJ
PS, nice analogy though

A VRLA battery (valve-regulated lead–acid battery), more commonly known as a sealed battery or maintenance free battery, is a type of lead–acid rechargeable battery. Due to their construction, they do not require ventilation, can be mounted in any orientation, and do not require constant maintenance.[1] The reduced venting is an advantage since they can be used in confined or poorly ventilated spaces.[2] They are widely used in large portable electrical devices, off-grid power systems and similar roles, where large amounts of storage are needed at a lower cost than other low-maintenance technologies like li-ion.

Last edited:
One of my SLA bricks is mounted on its side and I have had no problems with it.

"Bricks" I like that, :love: :>)HPIM1676.jpg This is the position I went with because of foot spacing, Ohhhh this one is a FootScooter, Less rules then a MB, any engine size, no speed limit...HPIM1834.jpg It needs more braking, so I found a go cart/motorcycle disc parts at the swap meet in Long Beach and I'm waiting on the machine shop for a custom mounting flange off the hub.

Seems an AGM battery is what you need, gel batt. If a batt is vented and has acid in it, it's going to leak out through the vent................2+2 doesn't always = 4 though.

Last edited:
I still have no problems with these batteries on their side, almost 3 years now.

Attachments

• eBike.JPG
    eBike.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 247
  • eBike TomyJ's2.jpg
    eBike TomyJ's2.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 229
Back