Heavy Haulage - cartage capacity that amateur's can't match

Fabian

Local time
8:21 PM
Sometimes a job calls for serious haulage capacity; requiring maximum loading space that amateurs can't match!

Timber for the taking - Firewood once loaded - One mega haul up a 10% gradient, requiring every last inch of full emergency power; pushing mechanical integrity to the limit.

Wow. Just wow. A testament to your build ability, gearing and just plain you've gone on the wagon mate!!

That load (gross trailer weight and lumber) adds up to around 450 lbs, and then being able to haul it up a 10% gradient is only made possible by the installation of a Sick Bike Parts shift kit and heavy duty front freewheel bearing because the front chainwheel low range gearing (24 tooth sprocket) on the tetra chainwheel setup places considerable axial loading on the freewheel.

3 years later, and to this day, i still have to pinch myself at just how much punishment the shift kit can take.

October 19th - Just a small haul today - didn't need to drop into low range gearing for this job. It was high range gears all the way home (approx 10 kilometers/ 6miles), and with fuel efficiency that would make an Arab oil sheikh weep tears of sorrow.

With the cost of fuel these days (being only a little less than extortion at the fuel pump), i can't afford to use the car for these jobs, for it would send me bankrupt.

Last edited:
as a timberman i would love to see you take your next wood trailer to the next level :)

A new high capacity trailer (over 4 axles and using trailer brakes) together with an upgraded hitch mechanism is in the works, because i want to triple my loaded capacity, whilst keeping trailer length as short as possible; for the purpose of hauling out ground laden firewood on tight bush trails.

while i hate the cost of petrol lately.... i always stop and think... at 750 grams a litre, what else can i buy for less than $2 a kilo? that i require for everyday living? sweet F all. welcome to australia, where it costs $5 to use a road, and water costs more than fuel. cheaper to fill my tank than my belly.

haha, revival.

i found this...

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/eleven-blind-men-ride-one-big-cycle/#more

could put the heavy haulage to shame with the application of modern materials :)

all i need to do is find 11 blind persons...luckily theres two schools for them near me!

will also need some type of "cattle prod" as they are also schools for the deaf :)

its actually an interesting setup. note one rider mounts from in front of the bars, the other behind... makes me think the concept could be used on a tandem tadpole trike or something ?

now i have to see if theres any tandem trikes...