bye bye motorised bicycles in NSW :(

HeadSmess

Local time
9:21 AM
news flash!

"a 13 yr old boy from liverpool is in a serious condition after colliding with a van, whilst riding his motorised bicycle and not wearing a helmet"

liverpool, sydney. about half an hour away, full of dole bludgers, junkies and non english speaking migrants. (i got no issues with migrating as long as you speak the language, or at least make efforts to learn it! this is the only country in the world that bends over backwards for anyone that just couldnt be bothered. BS! and then they get paid for it! more BS! get given a house and a job and whatever else they wont, just for an inability to speak the dominant language. while the rest of us have to work our butts off to support them.)

so. it looks like i wont be bothering finishing any of the hopup items ive invested a few thousand dollars and a few hundred hours into, as theyll be banned now.

just because of one lil brat that ignored either his parents or grandparents, and rode around on a bike with brakes that were not adjusted correctly (if the grandfathers interview means anything).

obviously, he wasnt ever taught, or learnt how, to fix basic equipment.

road rules? respect for others? how to engage brain and think? none of the above either...

i work with a south african. i wish this was south africa. get hurt? its YOUR fault. the law isnt going to be changed just because of one lil snot faced runt having an accident. matter of fact, there isnt even a law for it!

over here? even if he had no fuel, the engine had no head, or even a drive chain...it will be the motorised bicycle that bears the brunt of it.

every news report made sure that "motorised bicycle" was mentioned at least twice...

absolute complete and utter BS!!!!!

I really hope the child lives and is okay. :(

His parents must be idiots to buy him a MB in the first place, a kid that age is bound to ride it faster than is safe if he's out on it unaccompanied. Must be kicking themselves now. :/ :/

The troubling thing with the mentality of Australian law makers is that they shift the responsibility "of people engaging in irresponsible actions" onto the shoulders of those people who "are responsible and respectful of others".

Those people engaging in flagrantly irresponsible actions are not going to obey the law, or obey any new changes in the law, because if they did, they wouldn't have committed those actions in the first place.
The only thing that increasingly draconian laws do (out of step with the general populace) is to entrap those who wish to enjoy life, in a never ending set of oppressive rules and regulations which "do not" reflect the risk involved in the activity.

Last edited:
i wish this was south africa. get hurt? its YOUR fault. the law isnt going to be changed just because of one lil snot faced runt having an accident.

I agree. totally

over here? even if he had no fuel, the engine had no head, or even a drive chain...it will be the motorised bicycle that bears the brunt of it.

The law has changed in Victoria, allowing a police officer to treat "any bicycle as motorised" if it presents a physical representation of an internal combustion engine; even if the bicycle is fitted with a (non functioning) plastic toy engine from Kmart/Walmart.
This allows the police officer to treat the bicycle as a "motorised bicycle with an internal combustion engine", thereby making all of the relevant legislation applicable to the cyclist, which means nothing less than a minimum of $2,000 worth of infringements.

This is the main reason I get down so hard on people making videos of irresponsible riding. So many places want to ban our bikes. Such videos can give lawmakers ammunition they need to do so. A video of responsible riding can be entertaining and teach other the proper way to ride. The sad fact is videos of irresponsible riding encourages other to do the same thing.

Just today I saw a guy, maybe 15 or 16 ride a MB down the middle of Williams parkway (somewhat busy 4-lane street) with no helmet, full blast WOT, wearing headphones, and was looking away to fiddle with his iPod for 3/4 of the time he was in my field of vision. And my field of vision included an intersection :eek:

In Brampton, ON we also have a high immigrant population, middle-east/east asian mainly. think of it this way most of my classes in school only have 2 or 3 Caucasian people. I don't have a problem with immigrants, nearly all my friends are immigrants, but to be honest, they aren't typically very good drivers. (Brampton's vehicle insurance rates are almost double of surrounding areas). So I can't imagine why ANYONE would go on these roads, this one specifically which has an accident almost every day, and not be paying attention.

Sadly I don't think the moped and MB crowd will last too long here. We have TONS of people on mopeds, scooters, and MBs, and none of them wear helmets, and none of the scooters/mopeds have plates. Here anything with an engine is considered a vehicle that must be licenced, registered and insured. No "under 50cc" here

If you have tons of them then it might reach critical mass. Particularly if the owners are a bit feisty and not stereotypical westerners who just love having the government tell them what to do.

When I was in Thailand I saw all sorts of contraptions on the road. Scooters with 5 little kids on it - the driver also a little kid, scooters with a box shaped sidecar overflowing with stuff and someone sitting on top of it but most were going no faster than 20 mph, good distance between vehicles , very few cars. It didnt seem particularly dangerous.

Not as dangerous as for example riding a legal, licenced, type approved scooter on a busy road in Ireland that's full of legal licenced, type approved cars where their owners have spent more money on scraps of paper (tax,insurance,annual test) and fuel tax than the car was ever worth.

When I was in Thailand I saw all sorts of contraptions on the road. Scooters with 5 little kids on it - the driver also a little kid, scooters with a box shaped sidecar overflowing with stuff and someone sitting on top of it but most were going no faster than 20 mph, good distance between vehicles , very few cars. It didnt seem particularly dangerous.

When i was in Thailand, not so long ago, it was a huge eye opener. In 2 weeks of mixing it with the insanity (to westerners eyes) of the native inhabitants running through red lights and not obeying "any" of the road rules or road signage or speed limits, i never witnessed even so much as a scrape or fender bender; more impressive was that they were driving every sort of contraption you can imagine (stacked with as many people as it would physically allow, and not a damn seatbelt in sight), including motorized hand held agricultural machinery crudely adapted for motorized use on the road.
I came away from the experience with a new insight to the fact that in the western world we are massively, massively, massively, massively over regulated by government departments seeking to justify their existence by creating a plethora of moronic laws and regulations; not having any real benefit to the ordinary citizen in the cut and thrust of daily life.

Last edited:
Back