anyone ever try fitting an alternator to an ebike?

I could see using an alternator as a form of regenerative braking. Wire in a switch to field the alternator whenever going down hill or coming to a steady stop. Obviously use normal brakes for for emergency stop situations.

I could see using an alternator as a form of regenerative braking. Wire in a switch to field the alternator whenever going down hill or coming to a steady stop. Obviously use normal brakes for for emergency stop situations.

That's exactly what I have been thinking on. Separate small alternator, not directly involving the drive train.

No need to even seperate it from the drivetrain. It will free wheel nicely when not fielded. I live in the mountains so I'm very interested in this idea. It would be very practical to charge up some while going down big hills.

No need to even seperate it from the drivetrain. It will free wheel nicely when not fielded. I live in the mountains so I'm very interested in this idea. It would be very practical to charge up some while going down big hills.

True enough, I just was just thinking in terms of simplicity and keeping the drive train as reliable as possible, not so much about drag when when not loaded. But I suppose it comes down to best place for PTO.

True enough, I just was just thinking in terms of simplicity and keeping the drive train as reliable as possible, not so much about drag when when not loaded. But I suppose it comes down to best place for PTO.

Ah I see. It would certainly take a bit of thought to work out the best packaging option. Another thing to consider would be the rpm that the automotive alternator is designed to operate at. Which likely could not be matched by the bicycle hybrid concept at least geared in a manner that would not just lock up the tire and/or toss the chain/belt driving it. So you would have to explore the use a different and smaller form of generator (rotor and stator) setup.

Or something like that. I'm admittedly very new to this electrical theory business.

Oh I keep forgetting: WELCOME:love:

Amazing, I was going to type something like "of course proper RPM" after my PTO sentence.

I need to scrounge the web..........

KUB1_pic2.gif

alternators are 12 volts 24 at the most if using one for a big rig... Ebikes run 36-72 volts or higher
you have to put in more voltage then the battery puts out to charge it. Example a car alternator has a voltage regulator set between 13.8 and 14.2 volts

Of course. We are talking about low current 36 or 48V, so it would take specialized alternator/generator or stepping the voltage up.

Back