anyone ever try fitting an alternator to an ebike?

hahhaha bigblue i actually have one of those little generators too!

soo what about fitting a small wind turbine generator?

Here is what I did when I thought e-bikes were legal in my state ( was untrue)-
HF 79 spinning a Ford alternator, charging a set of batteries, with a scooter motor powering the bike. Would go just under 20 mph BUT the engine was flat out unless coasting. I found out an alternator is about 50 percent efficient ( did a lot of asking and looking on the net for that info but could not find it).
Gas milage was dismal. Finally bought a scrap moped w/ registeration and went to full gas power and made the bike into the moped- registered and everything/ plate on the back- no problems.
Here is the video I did-

I don't know if that is clickable so search - gas/electric e-bike on youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solar Sails!

Well ...
Solar panel output between 6-10watts per square foot, under optimal conditions, direct overhead sun etc.
To power a 500w eBike motor you would require between 600-1000w electrical input.
At 10watts per square foot that would be 60-100sq/ft or 2-3 full 4' x 8' sheets of plywood in size.

Maybe a solar panel to fill the area under the crossbar. You should be able to fit the bones of 30w in there. Buy loose cells, backing and cover, clips and custom make a panel to fill the entire area. On a good sunny day it should help nicely to fill the battery

This would only work if you could engage the alternator when you are coasting downhill. Some electric cars work on this theory, not necessarily with an alternator. I think the motor it'self could generate electricity to help charge batteries while going downhill. All this would do though, is allow you to travel further on a charge in an area that has hills.

When I was a kid we used small generators that had a wheel on top that pressed against the rear wheel on our bicycles. It would make the front headlight and rear red taillight shine. The faster you propelled the bike the brighter your lights would shine.

Back