Ultracaps for EBikes and EESTOR

slickdude

Local time
12:19 AM
Because I have electric bicycles I enjoy each week, I have followed closely the articles on Ultracaps and particularly the Texas based company EEStor and here are some interesting articles. It appears they are going to go after the electrical transportation markets via ebikes, emotorcycles and ecars too. Their claims of having a capacitor that can recharge in minutes and provide longer distance than a traditional modern battery pack, plus never develop a memory is impressive and seems to good to be true. Still, the company has taken out patents and it seems that many are beginning to follow this path as well. So here is what I have found for your reading and debating. Perhaps the techies here can weigh in and maybe we can get something working.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ial-and-voltage-vs-capacitance-210441701.html

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rel...technology-update-tsx-venture-znn-1799314.htm

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rel...technology-update-tsx-venture-znn-1799314.htm

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:EEStor

stupid click the wrong button. whats the point of autosave if it doesnt autosave?

i give up.

no comments for this thread now!

What does your reply comment have to do with the topic I originally posted in this thread?

stupid click the wrong button. whats the point of autosave if it doesnt autosave?

i give up.

no comments for this thread now!

i thought it self explanatory. i wrote a lovely follow up message, it was deleted, im not typing it all out again.

basically it boiled down to...wait five more years before getting too cap happy. then theyll be contenders.

i thought it self explanatory. i wrote a lovely follow up message, it was deleted, im not typing it all out again.

basically it boiled down to...wait five more years before getting too cap happy. then theyll be contenders.

Oh well, don't blame me, I don't have deleting powers, but I always try to respect other's opinions and comments. I guess I learn stuff as I go along and as gramps used to tell me, I'll be learning all life long. Have you checked out the Japanese manufacturer of Sanyo lately. I don't remember their link but they are already producing and selling ultracaps for bikes as well as cars, buses and trucks. I had not heard back from their mailers and I did email Li Ping at Ping battery a link to them as he seemed interested so there is some technology already there. The Texas company has begun finalizing testing of their new ultracaps. What I find amazing is they never grow a memory as standard batteries do. A good sized brick of them also yields a much greater range then batteries do. Also fascinating. But uh, nope, never did get to read your comments. Hoping you save them to a document file first and then repost em. Anyhow, not my doing...

lol :)

they are fairly cool, and someone has to buy them now for them to be considered financially viable.

ive played around some with hi voltage power supplies, high current power supplies, and both combined with RF power supplies.

so a capacitor. simply two conductors with an insulator in between. pretty simple.

this is explains how they can discharge and recharge over a million times a second!

and why theres no memory effect :)

the power isnt stored as a chemical reaction like in lead acid, nimh, nicd, lipo etc. its simple electricity in its simplest form, the electron. just as many lil electrons jammed into one conductor as possible.

so, electro caps make a insulating polarised film by the use of certain chemicals or "electrolyte" and are extremely effective with currents of one polarity. they burn when run backwards. so are not used in RF or AC transfer situations.

much the same as super caps. electrolyte, polarised film. i believe theyre always polarised. all the ones ive met have been :) its the most effective way to make a super thin insulator.

what makes the super caps so amazing is that the method of manufacturing the "conductor" makes for massive surface areas in small spaces. so theres more electrons than ever stuffed onto one plate.

their limitations are also set by this. the thinner the insulator, the better the capacitance. the larger surface area, the better capacitance. a thicker insulator allows for higher voltages/electron densities but reduces capacitance. at a certain point thickness of insulator reaches the bare minimum needed to achieve max capacitance whilst still having a useful voltage. say 5 volts or so.

im not bagging them :) for the purpose of brake regeneration etc, theyre PERFECT! they will take that charge instantaneously, at any power density! (well, ok, they can charge at full current when completely discharged, but this gradually reduces as they build a charge so theres a general curve they follow meaning they never really ever get to full potential... generally in a CR timing circuit its given as time to reach 80% voltage or so?)

at the rate of progress with things such as lipo, etc, that didnt exist basically ten years ago... and with much consideration... i would wait five more years when the prices are better, techno is better, whole situation is better :)

dont worry, i wanted to go out and by a bremo electric motorbike the day i saw it :) circumstances are making me wait five years anyways, so it will be old school then :) i think it was bremo... sounded like the brake mob...

(true, not your fault, i clicked the wrong button and got grumpy )

EEStor has been drumming up a lot of publicity for themselves since 2007 with very little to show for it. Most people have given up on them I'd say

Yeah but there are ultracap manufacturers out there like the japanese Sankyo. Also interesting technology, nanotube battery technology. They can recharge to full capacity in like 5 to 10 seconds and have a 20 year lifespan. The only problem I see here is range, but with recharge times so fast, it probably would make range a thing of the past. I emailed Li Ping at Ping battery and he said he thinks maybe a few years. Right now, it remains LifePo4 Batteries.

Back