Comparisons chain drive to friction drive.

T

Torques

I have a friction drive bike that I am very satisfied with except for the fenders trying to contiually try to break off due to the speeds (vibration) I travel. I was told negative things about chain drives which might or might not be true. The one thing I don't like is the bulky transfere case, just my opinion. I currently have 2700 miles on my eho35 friction drive since brand new in August. I also break a spoke on the engine side, every 3 weeks or so can anyone give some input to pluses and minuses between the two. I have a back fender on now but is ready to break off again. The pic is an early shot without fender. Later I fit the rear fender on.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/Torques/CIMG2906.jpg

Attachments

• CIMG2906.jpg
    CIMG2906.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 5,837
Last edited by a moderator:
No. I just went with the in frame design for the appearance. I've never had a spoke break or a fender break but I only use Wal-Mart and Toys-R-Us Schwinn/Pacific Bicycles. No carbon fiber aluminum titanium bikes for me, I'm a purist. I really should make a frame or alter one but the time and means have been elusive, but stranger things have happened. The 4 stroke seems to have the edge on longevity and vibration, it just needs some of the contraption shook out of it, for the look thats more my cup of tea.

heck no, this ain't no "chain-drive only" messageboard, sorry i letya sneak by me :?

this is a motor'd-biker's forum, period...welcome :D

that is one bad-*ss rack-mount bike, Torques, please use our "upload picture" feature & put that in the "picture gallery" 8)

(your probs sound like basic high-speed bicycle woes, always check yer spokes, brakes, tires, etc...before & after every ride)

PM Tom with your engine-type so he can add it to the list, & then you can put it in your profile :)

Hi Torques -- I have the same engine and drive unit as you -- no problems yet -- been riding almost everyday.. I like the looks of your bike -- but I am wondering -- if I should paint my engine cover ? Yellow is a safe color -- but I am wondering ?? Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Mountainman,
Whew! Talk about thread mining. Have you noticed the dates on those posts? HAHA.
But since you brought it up, I just painted my Subaru semi-flat black. I wanted something a little more stealthy looking. I noticed last week when my son was riding it, from way down the street that yellow motor shroud stuck out like a sore thumb. Very noticeable from 1/8-1/4 mile! That's great if Hi-Vis is what you're looking for. As for me the less attention to the motor feature the better. I painted the shroud and tank black and it kinda disappears from the distance. That having been said, I wear a bright yellow/green safety vest with glow in the dark stripes. And just ordered a xenon yellow strobe for the rear of the bike. Maybe those things will draw the attention away from, and/or blind someone to the motor. Then too, stealth may not be all it should be as the engine noise and bike speed is a dead give away that something's different about these bikes!
Cheers! WC

I would think a friction drive would be least prone to vibration of any set up. It actually has a big rubber connection to the bike.

I can see that this thread dates back a ways but i was surfing for info and found this and thought i'd enter my piece. I've had the same friction drive bike for almost 7 years now and have achieved speeds over 35 mph and have never broken a spoke . Not only that but I have a rear fender and it has never broken or came off. And my drive wheel on the side of the engine has a plastic shroud over it to eliminate the spray of road grit and that piece has never come off.. If pieces are breaking i would look into buying or making some better motor mounts. For whatever all this is worth

I am thinking of putting a mirror on my bike .Do you have to go that big for it to work ok.I thought about one of those that velcrow due to the tight space in my Garage.

Back