Ezip Papamotors Kit Conversion.

Papamotors

I am confused ...
You tout Papamotors as some fantastic, reliable, wonderful upgrade!

Then you tell us about problem after problem after problem ... in most of each and every one of your posts!

#4 I have hit trouble dealing with Papamotors and Mr. Ping's battery.
2 bad chargers
the battery bag they included is questionable

#5 plastic wire ties with stress break frequently

#7 There are still issues at hand where I am sure I did something wrong. And I am still talking with the Papamotors support over it

#8 Wrong controller = $50 additional

#9 if ... they ship the right stuff, it is very worth it in the end.

#10 Now on the pedal assist issue.

#12 noisy motor - " but it has that tin can twanginess sound to it that two-stroke gas engines make"

#13 broken bike rack

#24 It is a shame that Papamotors controller doesn't have a true integrated pedal assist option, instead going balls out if you pedal with it turned on

#25 the 5amp charger just blew a capacitor then burst into flames.

#26 They didn't send me new plugs though so we'll see how it goes.

#27 The controller wires and motor may have burned out on their latest kit, still looking into it. I was riding along near top speed at around 24mph and suddenly the front hub motor died. I smelled a musty burnt smell, later found the motor wires burned at the connectors to the controller.

If I had that many problems I would likely sue or trash the whole deal.

Last edited:
Well thank you for this lovely opportunity. I should have updated in this thread instead, my bad. Both companies made good on all the issues, in fact I was sent a free newer charger. They did revise their products and replaced everything bad. This is very important to note, because it denotes the mark of a great company to stand good against something they made wrong. Yes there are the moments of frustration but long since my last posting in this thread, both companies more than proved they are willing to take great care in their customer's at least in my own case and that is what I am sharing here. Also DrkAngel I want to thank you for reviving this post. I am hoping that my negative coupled by the follow-up responses by both Ping and Papamotors are able to shed light on the fact they took care of every single issue, fixing what needed fixing and the extra compensation of a free charger and other parts I might have had problems with. Thanks again :D

Re: Papamotors

That you finally got all problems fixed is fine ...

But!
I would take issue that they sent multiple defective components ... multiple times!

Multiple cheap or crappy components "didn't work", "dead", "failed", "wrong", "broke", "died", "melted down" and/or "burst into flames"!!!

One problem might be acceptable ... ?
But you list problem after problem after problem!
Same problem multiple times ...

This seems to indicate:
Cheap components!
Bad design?
Crappy quality control!
Lack of pretesting components.
etc.

Looks like they buy the cheapest components they can find, toss them together in a box and ship them out ... ?
Worst of all! ... At $1100 per add on "kit" ... I would say they are ripping people off ... BIGTIME!!!

And even fair quality hub motors are typically, almost perfectly, silent ...
I would be concerned about the motor noise you describe!

Well, this is true actually. Remember I purchased three kits and I did have these issues as I posted them, I am not disputing that at all. What I am saying is that with the controller that burnt out, it was a connector issue. Papamotors actually revised that, sent a free replacement controller and also connector kit. As for the chargers they did burn out several times as well. I also got free replacement chargers and was even given additional chargers too. It is my belief the chargers and controllers were a general manufacturer and these guys just sell the kit. But support wise, they have taken care of every issue and gone a mile further to replace whatever was wrong and DA, that is my point. I now have an accumulative 16,000 plus miles riding on the three electrics and no more issues. On the controller they went to an updated version 1.5 and I have read elsewhere it is rock solid with others so it may have been that issue with the 1.0 controller though I will state this. On my newest buildup I have the old trike 1.0 controller with the newer connector box and have had no more issues at all. Chargers they replaced are all working fine.

What I was also impressed with was they requested I send them back the bad components and I did. They not only replaced them, but also fully reimbursed me what I laid out in shipping costs plus additional monies, and their email response times have been rather quick.

In the case of Mr. Li Ping and Ping battery, have not had any problems with his battery at all. The chargers actually came from Papamotors though Mr. Ping also sells chargers too.

In summary DA, I posted my original issues for others but also did this as a follow up posting to let others know I was treated well and with the updated components things has been great ever since. By the way, I am considering maybe a gas bike build up in the near future, but for now my electrics are working well. Now...if you ask me about the german tire with kevlar that went flat on a nail, that's entirely another issue. Anyhow its the holiday time so let me add for you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year ahead during these warm holiday times :)

I must say I'm with DrkAngel with the amount of issues you had and for the cost I would have gone ballistic. I want to get a kit that will help me commute to work 10 miles each way. I don't want to be messing around with all sorts of issues every few weeks. I had a variety of issues with a China girl 2 stroke and after only using it for less than 300 miles and sinking a ton of time and effort I cut my losses. I did so may upgrades and extra work on it before I even got it running I wondered why (everyone on the forum said We needed to do them).

Now Papamotors and Li Ping sound like they helped out which they should but they should have tried and true systems for that amount of money. Shoot you can buy a used Honda scooter and not have any issues for years.

Anyway, I appreciate your continued update with your bike and issues you have faced.

Well Papamotors made good on everything so far. I think that their attempts to stand behind any issues speaks volumes. They could have said take a hike and they did not. As of late with their newest parts I have enjoyed lotsa riding, over 16,000 miles and no issues anymore.

Remember to, first this does not involve Ping Battery. As for Papamotors, they receive manufactured goods. If the products have a defect, they could have given me a hard time. They did not and that is my point. Yeah, I realize they might have had some defective products, but my point is "THEY MADE GOOD" on any and everything.

Now let me give you another example. I bought and modified a 'Specialized' bicycle a high end bike from Cycle World in Northridge California. Here is what I got for my investment with glee from the great folks at 'Cycleworld' in Northridge California. Are all of you ready for being treated like crap for patronizing a place on their higher end bicycle?

We have to let you know, we cannot warranty your bicycle because you made it into an ebike. Thanks for buying from us as a dedicated customer. Got it folks, that is a real business that just killed a customer, because instead of supporting someone, they stuck a knife in em. Does 'Specialized' consider a seat change a mod, what about different tires and tubes? I think we can consider many things a modification if we really try. And this is the difference between a piece of crap company whose employees take your money and a company that makes good on problems. See my point folks.

I will continue to do business with Papamotors and Ping Batteries.

Papa Motors.?
Somhow quiet about them right now.
I would have gone crazy with the tons of issues you had with the kit.
Doesnt matter they have customer service,
With crap you need to contact customer service a lot.
What else you are going to replace, repair, redo.
Would not be better to put yojr money toward good stuf like Stromer, Specialized, Bionx, etc

Well as of January 1st my ebikes became contraband in California. I probably could refit and rebuild them but I decided to get na brand new EBike, aka. a Ford Mustang Convertible. It has endless range, can keep up with traffic, go on every road including dirt roads. The top comes down for the air in my face experience I used to love so much on my old throttle ebikes. But honestly. I did have early issues with some of the Papamotors products though they did prove to make good on all issues and for several years I rode. I have two ebikes now, one was vandalized by an old ILLEGAL ALIEN while I was in a store. He threw it over on its side as forcefully as possible and took off. Broke the battery rack, battery, controller and several spokes on the main hub wheel from the force.

My two remaining ebikes are pretty strong. They have been a hoot and each has about 6,000 miles riding on them. Battery still has at 18mph about a 24 mile range. At full throttle speeds that drops significantly. The newer controller that Papas Motors sells version 1.5 has been rock solid. You have to make sure you secure properly the connector cable between the throttle and brakes to the controller. Other than that, no complaints. Hub motors are strong. Like I said, I did have some issues with their older 1.0 setup, but they shipped me the newer components and no issues.

There is no grandfathering law in AB1096 in California and limiters on the controller as well as The Cycle Analyst or dial power systems are also illegal. AB1096 doesn't allow for even a limiter or Cycle Analyst. Too bad actually, but this is what happens when an ebike company CEO co-authors the bill after inserting themselves on a state bicycle board. So at this point, my Mustang is my new ebike.

Do I miss the ebikes in my garage? Yes, of course. They were fun. Unfortunately Governor Brown-poop who claimed he wants to reduce greenhouse gasses just banned the least polluting of motorized bicycles, the throttle electric except for very slow ebikes on throttle as a class 2. I suspect at 3k per average pedelec they are committing suicide on an industry that was already marginal at best.

As for Papamotors and Ping battery. My longterm experience is they made good on any issues. If a manufacturer is willing to do that, then they should get a second chance.

I see so it become illigal in California.
I ride my EPLUS 1000W 36V everyday in summer on paths, anything motorized not allowed on paths here, PAS or throttle.
Going back to Papa Motors, cannot find their web site, tried.
Cheap controller it must whine like crazy?

hub motors are strong is very general statement,
all those burned rusted ones China brands on ES also strong?
So why he this guy on bikeforums.net replaced hall sensors, derusted, paint rotor, stator insted of riding his Papa motor?

Last edited:
Back