Ezip Papamotors Kit Conversion.

LR Larry,

I understood what you meant with the 14cc engine. Is it large enough to generate 48 volts and enough amps to recharge the batteries at a reasonable rate? What is the horsepower rating of the engine? 1.5 horsepower @ 10,000 + RPMs? Is the engine durable enough to run at high speeds for extended periods of time? To generate any significant amount of current at 48 volts that engine is going to be running constantly and is going to be very loud. Compare this to the charging rate of a 2 amp battery charger for comparison. What type of generator/alternator?

Not trying to discourage you, but it may be less expensive and a lot quieter to buy a second battery pack.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

My gut feeling is that they are nearing working Ultracaps and this will be the end all to motored biking and about all other transportation. We are talking caps that recharge in like three minutes with a 300 plus mile range. A Texas company now has an ultra cap technology that retains electrical energy. And this technology is about a year out, maybe closer from becoming reality usage.

UPDATE: Over 6 Months later.

So far Papamotors and the Ping Battery has held up very well. I can attest that after hundreds of charges everything is working well. What has worn out on this bike are the original brake pads and the front tire with the rear tire not far behind it. I might try solid tires though Amerityre has informed from their tech support that their solid tires are intended for below 20mph speeds. What I find interesting about that is that one of their adds is a prominent cyclist racer using their tires in a race so go figure, huh!

Anyhow the Papamotors motor is still very strong works well. If I ride the bike with consistent speed plus hill climbing which it does quite well, I find my ride distance cut to around 21 to 24 miles. If I ride at around 18mph then the distance heads towards the original 29 mile mark give or take. With pedaling though, it greatly extends the range. It is a shame that Papamotors controller doesn't have a true integrated pedal assist option, instead going balls out if you pedal with it turned on at full speed. Hopefully they will offer this in the future. I also wish they would offer a bigger motor and 96 voltage system for more off-road usage. I know there are other firms doing this out there and it's just too bad this firm doesn't. Still, for what it is, it has held up well and riding is a total blast. The trick is to make sure you have steel forks and dropouts either front or rear as the aluminum on newer bikes presents a definite safety hazard. Aluminum can crack and instantly break without warning as opposed to steel which cracks and breaks slower. This can at high speeds on a front wheel system pose a major issue. Also for rear wheel systems Papamotors wants a 6 gear cluster but every newer bike I have seen has a 7 or more gear cluster which poses another problem for a rear magpi type of setup instead of front motor hub.

Well this week the 5amp charger just blew a capacitor then burst into flames. Smell of burnt plastic everywhere. I emailed Papamotors and Li Ping and they are sending a fresh one asap! Though a week back it was hot outside, this was after the heat spell on a normal day under shade so plenty of ventilation for the charger. So for now, I have to wait on the 2amp chargers they originally sent free. Other than that guys, I have to tell you I am super happy with the rest of their kit. It has done well, quite well after more than half a year.

Well, received the 5 and 2 amp charger replacements free of charge by Papamotors. Have yet to test them, probably tomorrow when I re-tighten the brakes on the bike. They didn't send me new plugs though so we'll see how it goes. Li Ping mentioned they were looking for better components for their chargers which leads me to believe these may be having a larger issue burning out then has been suspected here. Again though, I'll post another followup to this. That aside I have found that after 2,300 miles of riding, the Papamotor is holding up well. Haul's butt, and gets me up steep hills with little effort.

Sadly more bad news. The controller wires and motor may have burned out on their latest kit, still looking into it. I was riding along near top speed at around 24mph and suddenly the front hub motor died. I smelled a musty burnt smell, later found the motor wires burned at the connectors to the controller. Right now Papamotors has me running test and jumping through hoops instead of simply sending a box and swapping it out. My two older hub and controller builds seem to be holding up.

The other thing that broke was the twist throttle. Built cheap it cracked where the twist throttle handle is nearest main housing, very thin plastic broke as soon as I first twisted it. They replaced the same thing, but I doubt the quality is there. Luckily they still provide the older thumb throttle and that has held up nice. The Ping battery still seems okay though kudos to Mr. Ping for his remaining great quality :D but it seems that from what I have seen so far, Papamotors has a cheaper built product. My impressions are that the newer motor hub also sounded a bit different than the older hub motors. It seemed at times to struggle a bit more.

Newest Update. Papamotors proves again great service. Found the motor still works. It appears the motor wires fried at the connector. They sent me a brand new controller unit with a fire proof connector setup, will install it in a few days. Their service has remained top notch so far, will apprise on how this goes. Stay tuned.

On my blue walmart bicycle replaced that controller. They now provide you eyehook connectors and a small connector box with poles in it. A very solid setup, no more burning controller problems. According to Papamotors the blue motor wire is what gets hot. Since I went this far, I also updated to their new 1.5V kit and it seems to be better. So essentially in their system the controller is the weak link. The second weak link is the chargers. Best to recharge them at night in coolr temps and maybe even put a small fan blowing onto the charger to keep air circulating and the temps down. As for the controllers, they get pretty hot with wide open speed at around two to three miles.

My Schwinn Meridian Trike didn't hold up well. But I have three ebikes all using the Papa Motors 1kw 48volt system with a Ping battery. Here is what I can share with you. With over 16,000 accumulated miles on all three ebikes and still going. Have had no more issues, all working very well, battery still solid. I have personally found both Li Ping and his battery company as well as Papamotors to be extremely honest, reputable and interested in the best riding experience. I don't say this often about many companies, but these folks are the best, their products have lasted. I suspect in another year or two the batts will start to slowly lose range, but for now and with 16000 plus miles, everything I am happy to report is working super well.

Back