Ezip Papamotors Kit Conversion.

By the way. The 1000 watt motor makes a sort of quiet two-stroke sound, very quiet though, but it has that tin can twanginess sound to it that two-stroke gas engines make, for what it is worth. Has been a blast riding it.

Okay so wenmt riding today at the park, my 8th ride and normal bike path ride nothing too bumpy and wah lah look at the seat post bike rack.

IMG_1097_zps5322b3ac.jpg

and another angle...

IMG_1094_zps0f86eba1.jpg

and yet another angle...

IMG_1095_zps84a0f364.jpg

and another angle...

IMG_1096_zpscd16b3ab.jpg

and finally what the bike looked like before this broke and collapsed atop the rear tire while riding only my 8th time :eek:

IMG_1073.jpg

As you can see per the manufacturers instructions the controller and battery are the only weight mounted on this. I emailed them requesting my credit back, will follow up in a new posting what happens. So far they have been very honest and supportive, no complaints.

My brother in law is an aerospace engineer who worked in the space shuttles. He took one look at the broken rack and said they welded the shaft to a cast metal piece. He said that is usually a weak weld and was not surprised that it broke. Forgot but I think the rack was around 50 bucks, just too lazy to look right now. Anyhow, I got a traditional mount rear rack and installed it this afternoon. Bike back together and now very sturdy. The rest of it appears to work well.

Great write up.
That is a lot of weight cantilevered off the seat post, thus breaking (dumb design),
A good idea would be drop support legs down to the rear triangle.

Well thanks professor. I must say that Papamotors and Ping batteries have proven themselves honest and super business resources. Tonight they refunded me the full purchase price on that post. In a sense it is a shame, because it seemed solid and looked very nice. It could be I had a defective one, but I want to stress they have refunded my rack as I had already replaced it from a local bike shop. Yeah the flying post probably would be better as a standard rack. In my case of usage I ride mainly a concrete bike path, some dirt but no real big bumps. I also ride pretty slowly too. My speed averages around 12mph on average give or take so again I followed their procedures.

For those of you wondering, this company has to me proven itself rock solid in taking care of me. I feel that having dealt through my life time with many companies, these guys and gal (Julie) do care about me, and I cannot stress how very important that is. Both Papamotors and Li Ping's battery have proven so far to be great folks.

You might want to consider a double layered rack that has a locking mechanism that locks the battery case into the rack. Do a Google search. I know I've seen them while searching for electric kits.

Happy Holidays,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

I know must electric guys are really green. Are you a light enough shade of green to use propane? If so then you could have extreme riding time on your electric bike. You can use a 14 cc 4 stroke model plane engine to power a 24, 36 or 48 volt alternator. A circuit board can be designed to cut the small engine on when your battery runs low to provide power to the motor and charge the battery. Then cut off when he battery is charged. I'd use one of the small propane bottles plumbers use when soldering copper pipe. A pressure gauge could be used to let you know when the bottle needs to be changed. Things like propulsion generators, regenerative braking and solar panels could also be used to put power back into the battery. Hybred systems is an area nobody is building in right now. Just something to think about.

Here you go:

Hybrid.jpg

Seriously, there have been an attempt in the past (I think 2008) on this forum to develop a hybrid system.

14cc engine isn't going to produce much energy from a generating source. Approximately 1hp = 745 Watts - more like 500 Watts with inefficiencies.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

You've misunderstood the purpose of the 14 cc engine. Its only function is to provide mechanical power to turn a 48 volt alternator. The small engine is in no way being used to propel the bike directly. A 48 volt 1500 watt motor is to be used for that purpose. The engine would only come on once the battery dropped to a certain set point. The alternator would then provide power to the motor and at the same time recharge the battery. Once the battery was charged the engine would cut off and the battery would take over as an electrical power source. As an added note I see people are attempting to try to build these bikes. I hope my idea in some way may help. Will be posting videos and pictures on my multispeed fully automatic drive system soon.

Last edited:
Back