Now I'm really worried HELP! 1/7/7 UPDATE!

S

sideshowsideswipe

I ordered a new CDI and Magneto and switched out spark plugs.

Changed CDI twice and the magneto (what a pain in the butt) rechecked everything. I walked with the spark plug on the block to confirm good spark also with the spark out I can hear the piston going up and down and I can smell the gas in the chamber.

I took off the exhaust - air flows freely through the exhaust. the carb is fine I take the carb apart and put it back together each time.

When I release the clutch at about 6 miles an hour nothing happens. I can hear the chain struggling & rattling trying to make the piston move but nothing at all happens. Before the engine would at least turn over even if it wouldn't kick in and start.

Why would the piston go up and down with no spark plug inside but when the spark plug is in, it won't move???

Someone please help!

man, sideswipe, wish i had it here to look at...have you actually pulled the head off yet?

if not, use a wooden dowel in the spark-plug hole to "gauge" piston travel while turning the rear wheel, let us know...

it realy might be because the clutch is to loose. the piston might move freely when the plug is out because all the compression is gone because there is no seal. take the clutch cover off and tighten the screw that holds the plate down. its alot easier if you have something that holds the clutch lever on your bars down to. tighten it about half a turn untill you can get the motor to turn over and start.

as i recall, the original symptom was "it just died" instead of "it revved up like crazy & i was going nowhere."

it's so hard to get on the same repair page over the internet. at least i'm hoping something "loose" & not "broken" is the keyword...he doesn't have enuff miles to explain a worn clutch yet, but i guess the hills could've taken an early toll. still, possibly a good call, bird, because i suspect that whatever's loose or broken is under that clutch cover.

sideswipe, give us some input on where you're at.

Re: Now I'm really worried HELP!

sideshowsideswipe said:
When I release the clutch at about 6 miles an hour nothing happens. I can hear the chain struggling & rattling trying to make the piston move but nothing at all happens.

it is not the back wheel skidding, right? is the front sprocket turning at all?

Like Augidog said, it's hard to diagnose over the net, but I think Bird's right and the clutch is slipping. If it's a relatively new motor, it may have just worn in and needs adjustment.

ok so if it's a clutch slipping issue how do I fix that? the lever arm looks the same as it did when I bought it, I can tell the clutch goes from engaged to disengaged. the metal dowel that comes out frmo the front sprocket looks the same and comes out as far as it always has... I'm lost!

sideswipe, we need to be on the same page...

when you turn the engine (wrench on front sprocket) with the plug out & clutch engaged, does the piston move?

when you do the same, plug in, what happens?

when you pedal with the clutch dis-engaged, what happens?

when you pedal (plug in) and pop the clutch, do you stop dead, or do you hear things turning, just not the engine itself?

I concur w/ the slipping clutch theory, and raise you one clutch gland nut adjustment. Under the clutch cover is a black gland nut on the big silver dish. Remove the small screw which is in a glob of glue (its small and will disappear-use a rug or concrete to catch it and place it in the clutch cover) mark the cut out that the screw occupied for reference and adjust clock-wise or counter clockwise one notch at a time with a large flat screw driver (the clutch lever on the handle bars should not be engaged). Leave the cover off and the small screw off and pedal the bike around to check the clutch engagement. When the engine engages at a 1/4 to 1/2 out and not at all when the lever is in the locked position, place the small screw into gland nut notch, replace the cover, and ride.

augidog said:
sideswipe, we need to be on the same page...

when you turn the engine (wrench on front sprocket) with the plug out & clutch engaged, does the piston move?

when you do the same, plug in, what happens?

when you pedal with the clutch dis-engaged, what happens?

when you pedal (plug in) and pop the clutch, do you stop dead, or do you hear things turning, just not the engine itself?

with the plug out and clutch engaged the piston goes up and down.

with the plug in the chain moves the front sprocket but it doesn't sound happy about it, the piston doesn't move.

with the clutch disengaged I can pedal as if there was no engine on the bike.

when I pedal and get up to speed then pop the clutch I just stop dead.

I hadn't heard of the clutch gland nut... are you trying to mess with the noob?

Back