First bike complete!!! Mostly....

Hey guys,
Thanks alot for all the info shared on this site, and a big thanks to those of you who helped me with me engine issue; (Big issue on first bike!)

Here she is!!

DSCN4674.jpg

I purchased the motor over a year ago and have finally got everything put together. I have taken several test rides with her and am quite satisfied. Its not 100% complete, I still have to finalize the wiring harness and finish the lighting (12v system with headlight, tail / brake light, and horn).

Good job, keep a close eye on the fender mounting points because they tend to crack due to the constant vibration.

The rear fender is rock solid, its sandwiched between the rear rack and the frame. The front fender does vibe a bit when the motor revs just right, but it never gets anywhere near the tire. I've read the horror stories here about fender-eating bikes and don't want that to happen to me!

My chain literally EXPLODED yesterday. I had to pedal my 80lb cruiser 10 miles. In the dark. I will post some pictures of my Ping-Dong chain that is now in like 20 pieces. Also found a local industrial supply shop that has excellent chain for cheap.... OMG I'm so sore, I don't wanna get out of bed. Any advice about grinding the rear sprocket edges to make derailments less likely?

I have had trouble with both 410 and 415 kit chains, I have since changed to 41 which I have not had one problem with. The quality of the chain that comes with kits can vary greatly from different distributers. I like to make short runs on new builds, two to three miles. Checking the alignment and tightness every time I stop till I'm comfortable that it is tracking correctly.

Yea greg, I took alot of little 'shakedown cruises' as i call them. Of course the first time I ride to work it fails catastophically. Im glad you mentioned the #41 chain. I gathered from a few threads that it was the best. My local industrial supply has a great selection of it, even heavy duty with nickel plate. :)

Got the new chain and all I can say is WOW!!!! 100% BETTER! No throw chains on a 10 mile test ride, it feels smoother and it is silent!!!! My stock Ping Ponk chain made so much noise it scared me :) Definitely would recommend #41 chain as an essential upgrade for anyone running an HT motor kit. Also, the industrial supply house i bought it from, ( Applied Industrial Technologies ) sold me 10' for $16! I had enough left over to precut a second chain which now lives in my saddlebag, just in case.

Last edited:
Back