Big issue on first bike!

DJ Raizer

Local time
12:14 AM
Hello everyone!

About a year ago i bought a chinese motor kit from a local vendor with the intention of building a bike for recreation and maybe light commuting. I spend HOURS on these forums soaking up all the info that you all kindly provide. Well the project went on pause for a few months due to finacial hardship. I am now getting back into it and as i tore into the top end to replace the studs and check a few other things, i found this:

DSCN4344.jpg

I sent the distributor an email... basically the same as this post and asked him whats going on here. is this normal? Also metioned that the rings dont go down that far even at BDC so it might not matter?

That was 4 days ago and i havent heard a peep back. I am super eager to make headway on this build but im at a dead stop now.

any input?

Who sold you that piece of junk?
Are the pieces in the crankcase?

what brand of engine is it?
Yes, it matters as the broken off pieces mess up the shape of your transfer ports
for one thing.

Last edited:
save yourself the headach buy a new motor. apiece of the skert can be logde in the bearing area can cause big problems this has happen to me when i had my 125. call better business beru. I have done this and got results.

What I would do is look for any sign of the pieces and give it a try, what do you have to loose? From what I see the edge of the break looks old and coated kinda like it was dipped that way. If it doesn't run right you will have the bike ready for a replacement engine. Or you can buy a top end kit and replace it.

I dont want to name the vendor atm because hes a pretty nice dude and is actually involved with the hobby. I still have a little hope he might reply. I got into this cuz i thought it would be cheap so buying another motor is a scary idea. I think im going to roll the dice and give it a try. I will clean up the edges of the fractures and inspect the crankcase for debris (ive shaken it alot and dont hear anything). Is there a way to get a glipse inside without spliting the case?

PS thanks for all the replies! So far you guys have been 3x more helpful than my vendor ):

You can rinse it out with some break -in fuel mix and see what amount if any small fragments fall out. Dump it out of the engine on a shop towel to catch the debris for inspection.

DJ hit skyliner up in buy/sell he has a crapload of parts hes trying to sell. If no go then put an ad up saying you want a top end some has an extra to part with.

well after doing a bit of poking around on ebay and motor sellers sites, I see that this IS ACTUALLY somewhat normal! most cylinders have those places cut out! Mine is obviously screwed up maybe broke in casting or cleanup, but i think it will be alright. Stay tuned for a link to my upcoming build thread and thanks again!

Back