Has anyone officially 100% found a way yet to run a head light off the white wire yet

Tire generator kit $25, 12v 1.2Ah sla battery $12, scooter rectifier $8, power distributor anywhere from $10 to 30. So at the most $75 for a charging system. That's not including the price of lights, but depending what kind of lights you want they can be found cheap enough. I just wanted a nice motorcycle headlight so I paid about $30 for it and $20 for the 60 led bulb that powers it. My brake light was free and the 18 led bulb that powers it was about $5 shipped.

Heathen, i looked at yr circuit and noticed 3 errors.

1. The diode (1 to 3Amp, not stripe end) goes from the magneto, but a bridge rectifier would bebetter (but also means u can't use the magneto "ground" for the rest of the system and drops about 1.4V, but you get twice the pulses out, which is easier to filter (smooth the pulses))). The diode (stripe end ) is then connected the the input of the regulator (6Volt, 1-1.5Amp from electronics store, 0.1uF capacitor across input and 1uF tantalum can across output). Your 6V regulator probably has this stuff inside.

2. A diode does not turn ac into dc power, it conducts for either negative or possitive VOLTAGES (we want positive). The out put is actually "pulsed DC" and should be filtered with a capacitor ACCROSS this voltage to produce near DC VOLTAGE (peak of ac minus diode voltage drop, approx 0.7V), before being regulated.

3. The 0.5 Amps is the maximum CURRENT you can draw from the magneto, it doesn't just pump out 0.5A. The current is determined by load (lights etc). Fully charged battery and no lights on draws 0 Amps. The lights and battery will TRY to draw what they need (they don't care the max is 0.5). A flatter battery draws more current. POWER is current multiplied by voltage. 0 A = 0Watts.

Your circuit will work, but there will only be about 6V at the battery (about 6.2 minus 0.7 of diode = 6.13) and the regulator cannot work ideally (as according to the diagram, it's getting pulsed dc not dc). The diode isn't rectifying properly, it's only really providing reverse polarity protection.

You have done a gr8 job to get the circuit together and documented it exeptionally!
Ps, your soldering actally look good, nice and shiny.

Back