Is your bike a tweaker magnet??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meth is very much a West Coast to Eastern Mid-West thing... I read a really interesting book on the spread of meth in the US once... can't remember the name though...

Cops in the US are relentless when it comes to drug use. They seem to be more focused on those who are dealing than the personal user, though they will pounce on the PU's when an opportunity arises (traffic stop, buying from/selling to an undercover cop, etc.). But calling the cops for some guy across the street getting high? They won't bother showing up.

Yeah I totally agree with you both... Cops wouldn't even show up if you had proof that the guy across the street was a dealer. It might seem different on TV but everything on TV is edited to make it as sellable as possible.

If it bleeds it leads, especially US home blood news overseas.

I live in the Northern area of Central Phoenix in a burg called SunnySlope up against the South side of North Mountain.
There is a big white rocks in the shape of an S on the my side of the mountain indicating it.

It's a low budget area occupied by mainly Hispanics, many I suspect aren't legal.
They also aren't tweakers, drinkers sure, but other than pot I don't see any rampant drug use or crime, and Phoenix is the 6th biggest city in the country with well over a million people.

Granted I don't see it on my end of town but the south west section is a frigg'n nightmare of drugs and violence, I see it every day on the morning news.
I don't ride over there, no reason to anyway.

I do have to make sure I lock up my bike at a couple of the local stores the 'young bums' for lack of a better term hang out at, especially the Hispanic ones that look like they just trekked across the desert on foot and looking for something to steal and ride away on to sell really eying it.
They don't ask questions though.

As for questions, like the rest of you I get the usual, how fast will it go, how much, gas mileage, where can I get one.

I carry my business cards with my name, web site address and phone number in my wallet for just such occasions, tweaker or not.
My cards however do NOT have my home address on them, I don't give that out until I have spoken with a potential customer that wants to schedule a time to come by.

There is a bit of warm comfort not having to do business as a storefront, I can close when I want, take a day off, and I don't get walk in tweakers or lurking thieves either ;-}

That is pretty much the norm here in Tucson (Population of 1,000,000 plus). None of them wear helmets and every bike I've seen has been filthy. They love to brag at how fast they can go too. One guy had his motor held on with wire. I don't mind picking their brains though. I just make sure to discard all the useless info.

Yeah one of the biggest problems when they are talking to you is they are all spun out so they don't realize that they have been rambling forever... They just keep talking and talking and talking and talking.....

I CAN'T WAIT TO MOVE!!!

I have read 3 pages of this post and still wonder what a tweaker is- I remember having to tweak something to get it to fit, maybe a Britt term?

And Fabian, anything you get about the U.S. from tv or flicks will be warped.

Remember, this country was created by many people fleeing the grasp of the dictatorial rule of England. Thus, the right to bear arms, thus, the fixation on personal freedom.

The inherent problem with personal freedom is, if it is not balanced with personal responsibility - you get lawlessness. I better stop here.

Ahh, i see professor - an amazing concept: taking personal responsibility for your actions.

Strange that even in Australia there is strong aversion to such a concept. I have never understood why the media pushes the idea that plain bad behavior and lack of personal responsibility is labeled as "someone fighting his inner demons".

This notion brings forward the idea that a person can continue with irresponsible behavior, shifting the resulting damage to their lives and or others as environmental influence rather than looking for sensible and responsible decision making options.

Sadly, a few of these people are media personalities; often described or presented to be "role models" in society.

I will agree with your sentiments about personal freedom; gun ownership being one of them.
I've never seen a gun on it's own, injure or kill anyone - someone always seems to be at the trigger end of the fire stick when these events occur.

Last edited:
After looking at Cali's web link, my immediate thoughts were: criminalisation of the problem isn't going to solve the problem of addiction.

The government needs to look into societal factors that are driving substance abuse.

From my experience with the down and out, a sense of hopelessness and despair drives people to look for methods to raise their sense of well-being and fulfillment in life.
When in the cycle of aggravated poverty, there are few options available to raise your sense of well-being; criminalizing the problem doesn't present those people with improved options for lifting themselves out of such despair; it further entrenches the problem.

Why didn't society have these problems 50 years ago.
Why is it a modern problem.
What has society lost that is enabling such destructive personal habits to occur.

I think this post needs to be placed in a thread of it's own.

Last edited:
Well Fabian about 70 years ago methamphetamine was only used by the Nazi's so they could fight for weeks on end without food, sleep, or need of warmth. Today, at least here on the west coast of the US it has been a growing problems since biker gangs started using it a while back. Their meth was known as "crank" because they hid it in their crank cases. Today it is known as "crystal" and is the fastest spreading thing around. I seem to remember a statistic saying that 80% of robberies in California are meth related.

You are right about it being a modern problem, and that it is being taken care of in the wrong way... I wish the government would care about the individuals instead of just the numbers, but I don’t see that happening any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back