Motor alternator output for lighting

R

ringal

Has any body hooked up a light or used the output from the motor to drive a light ??? Does any body have a wiring diagrame for the ignition system ???

Regards Al

My "green machine" has a light that is hooked up to the motor. I connected the "kill" wire to the positive terminal on the light, and then hooked up the negative terminal (on the light) to the frame. The light comes on when the engine is on. The one problem is that the light tries to pull current from the kill wire at all times, so it is a little more difficult to start when there is a light trying to come on too. What I did to solve this was i threw in a switch so I could turn the light off while trying to start.

Oh, and make sure your light isn't drawing too much current (more than 6v) or else it will stop the motor.

Thanks for the info Tom.... I live in Western Australia and there is not a lot of info on these engines over here... I have a 48cc init and have managed to tune it to give me 52k/hr on the flat or 32 mph in your money. I have only had it about 4 weeks and have used it to go to work and back plus some fun riding, over 480kms on the unit now..... Vibration is a bit of a problem, the chain guard has snapped at one end I find wearing my motocycle gloves save the fingers and hands.....
I would just like to know how they manage to control the ignition timing on these engines as there are no points and condenser (I suspect they use voltage rise to trigger the cdi unit) In the future I will hook up a timing light and see exactly what is goung on...... as I suspect that the timing control will not be that great.

Thanks again Tom regards Al

the lights

I've been trying to use the engine power to run the lights but so far it hasen't worked out. It keeps killing the engine. I guess I haven't found the right bulbs yet. Too high of a voltage. I'll keep trying and in the meantime I'll continue to use the rechargable battery pack and the 9 volt system that I put together from old parts. My main problem at this point is that I'm running out of summer fast. Its going down to freezing tonight so I gotta confine my rides to short trips in the middle of the afternoon. Later Tom in W.V.

About that winter thing, I keep hearing that those Michiganers have a "liteweight" snowmobile suit thing, as opposed the the standard one, and this guy got one in Georgia, says it works great, waterproof. Hope some of the N'therners in this forum will point the way.
Local hunters brag about something called "Frogtogs" for possible winterwear.

frogtogs?

Well thats a new one on me. I take a look for them. i sure could use something. its like I bundle up to the point that i feel like an astronaut on the moon or something. And that wind it cuts right thru ya like a knife. its at the point that I'm beginning to hate winter. I can't believe there was a time when I used to lay in the snow and make snow angels. Man oh man . If you see me laying in the snow now please help me cause i'm havin a bad bad day thats for sure. i truly want to move south. Hey ducks go south in the winter. you meen to tell me i ain't got the sence god gave a duck.. All the best to you guys ...........Tom in W.V.

it was a lovely 32 degress today in colorado and with chance of snow and one big jacket and gloves to keep out the cold the ride wasnt to bad

well we haven't gotten into the snow yet but its the rain that stops us in this area. this time of year the rain is COLDDDD and too nasty to ride... Tom inW.V.

Back