need rear wheel rim

jroyse

Local time
7:51 PM
While attempting to straighten the rim and remove a giant dent I cracked the darn thing. I suppose I could get it welded but I would rathe have another rim. Anybody have a used one for sale. This is for a 1999 I bought to fix up and ride but its become such a problem I may part it out. Too many things are missing or broke.

Rear Wheel

Whatever size or type you need, try to go with a steel rim and at least 12 guage spokes. For my personal bikes I run down to my buddy at the LBS and check out what he's got on sale or cheap in a heavy duty setup. They almost always have something thats been sitting around collecting dust that they will sell a little cheaper.
And as long as you're swapping out a wheel, check out going with some kind of sprocket mount system if you haven't already. The rag joint is just not the way to drive a wheel.
Big Red.

I like the idea of finding a used wheel. I'll give it a try. I'm running out of patience with this bike. I just wanted to replace a missing spoke and after 4 bike shops finally found a 12 ga spoke but it was to long. Had to cut it off and rethread it. Everything I touch on this thing breaks or doesn't work quite right. That and the difficulty in getting parts is getting to me.

Rear Wheel

Yeah JR, I've also got another LBS that has a big yard full of used stuff. He carries a lot of vintage parts that ya can't find anywhere else. Both of my LBS's have been great with all the help and advice so I'll give them both a plug. Bicycle express and Fabers in San Jose ca. are the best. And they both like Motorized.
Anyway, Back to your bike. You never said what brand of bike you ride. If you can find a Schwinn, Trek, Huffy (whatever fits yer bike) or any wheel that has parts availible that's the way I would go. Sound like you might have an off brand that is hard to find parts for. Except for engine mounting and alighnment, the rear wheel is the most important part of the build. Ya don't really want to cheap out too much on it. Remember, yer gonna be doin 30 or 40mph on that thing, and a wheel falling apart at that speed REALLY SUCKS. So suck it up and build (or buy) the best HD steel, with at least 12guage spoke wheel yer wallet allow's. And I wasn't kidding about a good sprocket mount. It will save you a LOT of problems in the future. I used the rag joint for years. After my first solid sprocket mount I felt stupid for ever using that rag joint at all.
Big Red.

The rims on the Whizzer WC-1s and NE5s were not as heavy-duty as they should have been. That is why I switched to Worksman wheels for my NE5. Also, the Whizzer rims were optimized for middleweight 26x1.75 (or 24x1.75) tires, not the 26x2.125 (or 24x2.125) tires. You can get Worksman wheels directly from the company: http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/media/MANUALIndustrialBikes.pdf

Hi guys,

Whizzers don't use a "rag" joint. All new edition Whizzers use .105" spokes [12 GA].
26" New edition Whizzers use 10 1/4" .105" spokes.
24" New edition Whizzers use 9 1/4" .105" spokes.

Have fun,

Rear Wheel

Ordering a Whizzer rear wheel complete might be an expensive upgrade. A Worksman wheel, while not cheap, may still be the better option. I don't know why I didn't think of the Worksman myself. They claim it will hold something like 300lbs and can be upgraded to support up to 500lbs. That is one tough wheel. BUT, While all of this is a good idea, It sounds like the guy is trying to get a good wheel while keeping his cost down. A real good steel rim with heavy spokes should be all he needs. And if he can find a good used one more power to him. And again, (Yeah, I keep saying this,) a hub mount will keep him from ripping his spokes apart again, for the most part anyway.
Big Red.
And yeah Quenton, Of course Whizzers don't use rag joints. No one said they did.

Last edited:
Spokes

Hi guys,

Whizzers don't use a "rag" joint. All new edition Whizzers use .105" spokes [12 GA].
26" New edition Whizzers use 10 1/4" .105" spokes.
24" New edition Whizzers use 9 1/4" .105" spokes.

Have fun,
So Quenton, A stupid question. I'm still new at building my own wheels.
Does a smaller number denote a heaver guage spoke? Is a 9 1/4 heavier than a 10 1/4? Or is that just the length of the spoke. I know a 12 is a pretty heavy spoke but which way does it go from there. Thanks for being patient with my learning curve. ( is there such a thing as a spoke chart?)
Big Red.

Last edited:
Hi Big Red,

Most spokes are either 14 ga. [standard bicycle], 12 ga. are .105", and 11 ga. are .120".

All new edition Whizzer have 12 ga. spokes and are laced differently than vintage wheels. The spokes are shorter on the new edition wheels because of the lace pattern. Vintage 26" wheels use 10 5/8" long spokes [new edition are 10 1/4" long].

10 1/4 is the length.

14 ga. stock bicycle
12 ga. stock for most vintage and new edition Whizzer wheels.
11 ga. used on many vintage Whizzer wheels and Worksman.

Larger spokes [11 ga] will not fit the Whizzer sheeve cips correctly and will cut spokes over time. Clips can easily be modified to fit the larger 11 ga spokes.

When replacing rear rim, please note........................... the rear hub is a very, very, very poor unit and will most likely destruct [I have at least 30 defective Whizzer hubs in a box].

The rear hub has pressed on spoke flanges and they move to center under stress. A rear hub with loose spoke flanges makes riding at 35 MPH impossible [lol].

Use a Shimato, Hi-Stop, or any vintage coaster brake hub [Bendix, New Departure, Morrow, etc].

Worksman is most likely the best choice [I have several in my collection with Worksman wheels], however take a look at "Husky" wheels, as they are much less expesive, and still well made.

I know money is tight in these dfficult times, however spending extra for a good wheel is a must for safety. Also consider the amount of work required to remove and repair a rear wheel. I always make sure the rear wheel is way above stock, as it is the most difficult part of the motorbike to service. I always use thorn resistant tubes to avoid any service other than replacing the tire when worn out.

I don't know about a spoke chart, but there is plently of information on the internet about spokes, lace patterns, and HD wheels.

Have fun,

Last edited:
Back