Getting Aero - Speed Gains

There is a market for them. We are it. hahaha. If I see someone driving to get to me, I haul away! You are pretty brave. I would assume they were intoxicated cagers coming to start a fight. I've heard of cagers even driving onto bicycle paths in order to car-murder bicyclists.

I keep little flyers about the Dax Friction Drive for polite curiousity seekers, but no one in several years has actually called me or bought one. They expect me to build it for them for free. hahaha. No way. I think it is just a fun diversion, to them, a novelty. One auto parts store worker kept asking me about it for weeks, but then said it was "too slow" for him. :rolleyes: When I was single and working for peanuts, I would have loved to have 1 or 2 of these bikes to avoid car expenses!

Thanks, lowracer for posting those useful photos. I'm currently working on a model boat and some bicycle fenders, all made out of laminated wood. I have been considering how to apply the same techniques and materials to fairings. It was nice to see how others had built them.

Its an old thread, but I needed to revive it after my wife found these old pics today of some of my cycling contraptions from yesteryear.
Getting more aero never goes out of style!
I only wish I had been into adding small gas engines to bicycles back in the days these pics were taken.
I would have added an extended swingarm & engine mount similar to '2High' the motorized tall bike to the Greenspeed GTR trike you see in the 1st few pics. Low outside the fairing mount would get the noise and exhaust away from my head and allow engine cooling. The entended rear swingarm also for added stability.
The Lightning F40 (yellow bike) was too scary in crosswinds & when trucks would pass at speed to even consider adding an engine, but that bike was awesome & fast!
2nd trike in the body is a Windcheetah.
Also had a Gold Rush Replica and a Optima Baron but never fully faired those.
Cheers,
-Lowracer-

Attachments

• Greenspeed shortbody.jpg
    Greenspeed shortbody.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 749
  • Greenspeed ShortBody F40 in truck.jpg
    Greenspeed ShortBody F40 in truck.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 741
  • F40 Kickstand.jpg
    F40 Kickstand.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 737
  • F40 Door Open.jpg
    F40 Door Open.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 817
  • Baron Kickstand.jpg
    Baron Kickstand.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 748
  • Greenspeed LongBody Baron GRR.jpg
    Greenspeed LongBody Baron GRR.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 746
  • Windcheetah with body.jpg
    Windcheetah with body.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 742
  • F40 kickstand and ride.jpg
    F40 kickstand and ride.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 729
  • Lowracer1.jpg
    Lowracer1.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 709
Last edited:
Today, I got the milk crate nicely mounted using some aluminum bar & angle aluminum. Also incorporated some cheap handlebar mounts made for mounting water bottle cages to handlebars. I can now carry one of my two plastic gas cans (as large as 2 gallons) for long travels without gas stations fill-ups with extra room for stuff. Now I want to get some plastic fairing material to mount over & in front of the basket to get aero...
Still researcing blown lexan type fairings from ZZipper & Mueller, but also might just experiment with some thin plastic sheet (like those roll up snow sleds) or coroplast to create a decent shape to break the wind...
-lowracer-

Combining handlebar/rack, It is a smart solution for a front rack

Attachments

• 21977136-origpic-14a2fc_jpg_0_3_33333_100_93_3333_150_140_75.jpg
    21977136-origpic-14a2fc_jpg_0_3_33333_100_93_3333_150_140_75.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 660
  • 54406-ban-a1cd73.jpg
    54406-ban-a1cd73.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 751
Back